Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

duck and goose calls

Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 AM

Default duck and goose calls

i have been duck and goose hunting for the past few years and am looking at purchasing a duck call and a goose call. i have never blown on any calls so i am looking for some advise on which ones i should get. i would like something that is good for a beginner but does not sound like a party horn. any suggestions.

thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: duck and goose calls

The best thing to do is to start off with a set that has a good instructional cd in it. Buck Gardner makes one for like 30 bucks. Another thing you can do is just get a cheap duck call with an instructional cd. If you can learn to blow a duck call, it makes it much easier when you start to blow a short reed goose call.

The best way to learn is to have someone that knows what they are doing to teach you. It is much easier with them listening to you and helping you then you trying to figure out if you sound right on your own. Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I really like the sound of my Quackhead Quack Stacker and it's only $20 bucks. Goose calls are a little more expensive
Old 02-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

For duck calls i use a buck gardner and a sure shot. i am not very good at duck calling. For goose calls i would highly recomend the sean mann calls they sound really good.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was at the Eastern sports and outdoor show in Harrisburg,Pa. yesterday and tried every goose call they had!!! I liked some but had a hard time withthe Sean Mann. I went with a Southern Call. The Sentinal. It was a close one between that one and the Zink Money maker. I also got a real good deal on the Southern.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

For duck HUNTING Duck Commander makes some great calls,Duck Picker,Camo Willie Max,Green Mile
Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what to tell you for a duck call, I have several and like each one differently. I have a Quaker that is a Double Barrel, whistle and duck call all in one. It is real easy to blow and sounds good soft or loud. Good for hunting.

Goose calls I would recomend a Big River Flute, or just any flute call. They sound like a goose for any level of caller. I just learned to use a short reed and realy like it. I am not sure how well I will be able to call with it. but the flute, you can not go wrong. The short reeds take a different blow and a little more ear.... start with a flute and pick up a short reed to learn later.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

i recommend starting out with a short reed goose call. my roommate has a zink double clucker that came with a dvd for around $30-$40. i have been blowing a flute since i can remember and jus now switched to a Death Row short reed. so far watchin the zink movie has helped me tons. as far as duck calls i'd start with Primos, Duck Commander, or Quack Head. all are pretty cheap and can sound good right out of the box. good luck
Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Spike

I like the Duck Commander line.I could,however,be predjudiced in my choice.Mr.Phil Robertson has really grown on me through his hunting DVDs.

My son and I own 10 of them.Favorites are green mile and mule.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM

i like the primos yo sista or phat lady for duck calls they are easy to blow and sound really good. if you dont wanna drop the money on a short reed goose call id buy the ole big river game call flute, it never fails

Quick Reply: duck and goose calls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.