Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

stuck choke tube

Old 01-19-2009, 02:33 AM

Default RE: stuck choke tube

dont use a torch on your barrel ,even if you dont get it to hot it will ruin the blueing, use a electric heat gun or just a hair dryer. if it doesnt come out after that ,take it toa gun smith ,it might pull the threads out if you get it to hot, and the end of the barrel is so thin it wont take much heatthe scratches you see may be small cracks if the tube split you may have to have the barrel cut off and new chokes but if you arent a gun smith and it doesnt come out easy leave it to a professional .and if it does come out. make sure that when you put another one in that its not to loose .
Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

duckhuntbro; I wouldn't recommend torching it per say. I would use a heat gun and heat it up pretty well, just don't get it so hot it is glowing red. What I meant is that you can heat it up pretty hot before it gets so hot that it is glowing. A lot of high volume shooters get their barrels so hot they cannot touch them, and they still continue to funtion well....you can get it pretty hot, just don't go torching it though .
Old 01-28-2009, 02:40 PM

duckhuntbro, I would take the barrel to a gunsmith, by fireing steelshot through a tightlead shot choke tube, you may have bulged the tube and that is why you can't remove it. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:09 AM

This is a simple one.If you cant find it local-order you a can of corrossion x .Let it soak for about a 5 days,it will come out.Next time you put a choke tube in ,lightly spray it with Cx and then screw it in.Good luck.

Ps.Dont shoot anymore rounds through it-the steel shot flattened the surface of the tube causing the choke to get stuck.Chokes designed for steel vs lead is the reason for it...let it soak,when you apply pressure make it a constant one and it will come out.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

had this problem this fall, go to a gun shop and git a can of Break Free. Break Free is what the US military uses on their guns and you can git virtually anywhere, i found it at walmart. anyways empty it into a glass or cup and set the barrel in the cup upside and make sure the choke is submerged. let it soak for a couple and take it and lightly tap the barrel to knock the crap loose and keep it soakin. after a week or so it should come loose.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Spike

id just take it to a gunsmith. he could tell if there was any damage done to the barrel.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

gunsmith