HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Goose call? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/281081-goose-call.html)

fatstrat00 01-02-2009 10:35 PM

Goose call?

What is a decent cheap goose call? Will be my first call, not looking to spend much.

tlutterba 01-03-2009 09:42 AM

RE: Goose call?

There are two different types. I would definately have a Primos Goose Flute. This is a very inexpensive call that does wonder in coaxin geese in. As far as a short reed is concerned. I would personally stay away from Knight and Hale. There short reeds are hard to blow. I currently have a Pitboss and it took me a while to blow. I now have a Tim Grounds goose call and they are amazing.

Chris_H 01-03-2009 02:47 PM

The Zink Powerclucker is amazing ;)

johnch 01-03-2009 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

The Zink Powerclucker is amazing ;)
For a goose call in that price range
IMO the power Clucker is hard to beat

I have one and it gets used
And I own several higher end calls

IMO it would be a good choice

John

fatstrat00 01-05-2009 09:04 PM

Thanks a lot. Ill probabaly start out with a flute and get a short reed in the future.

slayer_54 01-05-2009 09:43 PM

a flute is easy to blow but i think you are better off with a short reed in the long run. cuz once you can call geese with a short reed you wont go back. the power clucker and the quack head goozilla are great. my buddy has the power clucker and got it with the kit. the kit is great becausei jus bought a Death Row Inmate and knew not really anything about short reeds and i watched the video that came with his clucker and it has helped alot. somethin to think about

Dnk 01-05-2009 09:50 PM

For cheap calls try the Primos Honky Tonk for a short reed(not much air needed) and a Big River Game Calls wooden flute(nice an mellow).

ksfowler 01-06-2009 09:03 AM

How much are you wanting to spend? Sean Mann has some good calls they are around 50 dollars. they sound really good.

Crowkilla 01-06-2009 01:53 PM

I don't hunt geese, but I love going to town on a goose call.

The Zink Powerclucker is a hard oneto beat. Great call for the money. Very goosey without a lotta air to run it.

Also take a look at the Goozilla by Quack Head. Quack Headis RNT's less expensive line. Takes a little more air to run, but it's a great call. Good highs and lows, and a nice smooth moan. The reason I lean a little toward the Goozilla is cause it has the same guts as RNT'stheir high-end calls. The Powerclucker has easy-blow guts from what I understand. Not that it matters.

fatstrat00 01-06-2009 03:56 PM

Im looking to spend fifty dollars or less. I got to blow a cheap short reed at the store and didn't have a problem getting decent sounds. I think I will skip the flute and go for the short reed.