Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

good call for a rookie

Old 01-02-2009, 02:21 PM

Default good call for a rookie

Just wondering what you guy's thought would be a good call for ducks (mallard) and geese for a new hunter that would also be fairly easy to learn to use. I have one duck call that I bought a few years ago for ducks and I think it's pretty good but it seems kinda quiet compared to the call the guy I have been hunting with uses. I don't have a whole lot of money because I just lost my job due to cutbacks so it would have to be a budget minded call. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: good call for a rookie

As a beginner to duck calling, I really don't think you need a call that "fits" you quite yet... after you've practiced and got the basic quack and feeding chuckle down, thats when I believe you should start searching for a call that is comfortable for you.

This being said, I'd get cheap double reed call. The DC-200 is the first call I got. After I got past the basics, I looked around for a high-end single reed call. I love that tone that wood calls produce, so I shopped around and ended up goin for the RNT Single Reed Cocobolo.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:31 PM

try a primos pfat lady call cheap and sounds good easy to blow
Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Just my opinion here. I could not stand blowing a cheep double reed. Go ahead and get an RNT original and get the cd on beginner calling. I promise you that you will learn a lot quicker and enjoy the sound better. Be patient and learn one thing at a time. It will work for you. If you go chep you will lose interest. Again, just my opinion.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

I learned on a Double Nasty 2 by Buck Gardner - it is a GREAT cheap call and is easy to learn to use!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at these calls. Have a buddy that pro staffs for RNT and has these call and they all sound great. The goose call you can get for 20 bucks. I think Cabelas sells them all.

http://quackheadcalls.com/index2.html
Old 01-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: pastorkhris

I learned on a Double Nasty 2 by Buck Gardner - it is a GREAT cheap call and is easy to learn to use!

Agree, very good call for beginner!
Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 PM

ditto on the double nasty also a primos timber wench. i am a beginer and have both i chuckle better on the double nasty but think i like the sound of the primos a lil better
Old 01-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pastorkhris

The 2 guys I hunted with today both were using the D-Nasty 2s... but for 27.99.. I'll stick with my Duck Commanders.

I was lucky enought ot find 3 Duck Commanders on Ebay all for 30.00 I got the Cut Down,The Mule, and Duck Picker.
Great calls
Old 01-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

tim grounds.. Sweet meet.. u wont be sorry if u get his call.. u can get the wood for 49 bucks an it sounds amazing

Quick Reply: good call for a rookie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.