Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

what choke

Old 12-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what choke

I agree with shooting different rounds through different chokes and see how they pattern.

You also have to realize it is not just the choke and ammo, it is also in part the length of the barrel you are shooting. For example lets take two guns that are the same except one has a 24 in barrel and the other has a 30in.both with icchoke. the shell fired from the shorter barrel is going to openup faster, giving you less range than the longer barrel. So if you went back and put a mod choke on the shorter barrel it would give you more range. maybe not more range than the 30 in with ic. but more than it (24 in) had with the ic. will very from: gun to gun, choke to choke, barrel to barrel.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Spike

if your a perfect shot you can use full... Actually its not very easy. Itrap shootingtoday with my O/U with full and modified just to try out the new gun. Just about missed every first shot with the full and hit every second shot with the modified. Edcyclopedia seems to have the best idea though
Old 12-30-2008, 05:35 PM

i use full choke i hunt the ohio river and 9 out of 10 shots are at maximum range ported rhino choke i use kent fast steel 1 3-8s of 1s for every thing i have shot hevi shot alot untill they made it a richmans shell only i dont care how good it is it aint worth it i go to shoot and i would sooner burn the barrel up and have fun as cringe every time i pull the trigger. i think george w bush has stock in it.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

i love shootin my full choke.. i can simply hit with it.. i can kill my limit of ducks everytime.. i can hit skeet an trap with it to i dunno it jus works for me but i can also hit good with my mod..
Old 12-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

What kind of shot are you using out of full? I'm pretty sure steel's not safe out of a full.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:19 PM

i shoot anything as far as size from bbb-2shot nothing smaller than 2s all my hunting buddys do the same and we have never had any trouble but i wouldnt try it with cheap factory choke tubes like the thin walled mossburg tubes or the browning thin walled ones but have used the rem factory tube . i use to shoot a sp 10 with bbbs all the time and used heavy shot alot till it went through the roof. now its 1187 supermag 30in wuth rhino full tube awsome results. divers are hard to keep down but if hit with a tight choke its over im going to try some black cloud when i get done with this case of kent.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

birddog... The size of the pattern is a function of the choke, not the barrel length....

A 20" barrel with a full choke tube should pattern the same as a 30" barrel with the SAME load and the SAME choke tube...

The longer sighting plane of the 30" barrel may make for more precise pointing, but the pattern size should be the same..
Old 12-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

i shoot anywere bewteen bb then back to 2 shot.. have no problems.. works like a charm an ducks die..
Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 PM

honestly i use a skeet choke but most of our birds are undeer 35 yds
Old 01-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CodyGuess

i shoot anywere bewteen bb then back to 2 shot.. have no problems.. works like a charm an ducks die..
I don't mean what size shot, I mean what the shot is made of. Are you shooting steel?

Quick Reply: what choke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.