Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Dream hunt today (bands)

Old 12-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dream hunt today (bands)

This has been a great season so far for us. Hunting in LA. and Ark., we have limited out onjust about every hunt, primarily onMallards and Teal, but I wasn't expecting at allwhat was about to happen today. First of all, two of us easily limited out on Mallards and Teal. What was surprising, is that half of the Teal we killed were Bluewings. This is pretty uncommon for this time of year. About 99% of the Teal we shoot this time of year are Greenwings, so this was a pleasant surprise.The drakes were in full plummage and beautiful. When I went to pick upa couple of Greenwings I shot, one of them had a band. This was my first banded Teal and my 8th overall banded duck. This would have been a perfect day, but it wasn't over yet. We needed one more duck for a limit. A lone Mallard hen came in. I worked her for a couple minutes before she finally gave me a shot. I hit her, but she sailed off about 100 yards before she dropped anddied. On our way out, I went to pick her up, and you guessed it, another band. The Mallard hen made it my 9th banded duck. Pretty good Christmas gift I think. If I can ever figure out how to post the pics, I'll post the banded ducks and the Bluewing drakes in full plummage.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:22 PM

Default RE: Dream hunt today (bands)

Congrats on the Rolexes
Old 12-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a way to go! Congrats, I'm still waiting for a limit, and a band.

ButI'm not complaining
Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 PM

Congrats on all your success.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

This has been a great season so far for us. Hunting in LA. and Ark., we have limited out on just about every hunt, primarily on Mallards and Teal, but I wasn't expecting at all what was about to happen today. First of all, two of us easily limited out on Mallards and Teal. What was surprising, is that half of the Teal we killed were Bluewings. This is pretty uncommon for this time of year. About 99% of the Teal we shoot this time of year are Greenwings, so this was a pleasant surprise. The drakes were in full plummage and beautiful. When I went to pick up a couple of Greenwings I shot, one of them had a band. This was my first banded Teal and my 8th overall banded duck. This would have been a perfect day, but it wasn't over yet. We needed one more duck for a limit. A lone Mallard hen came in. I worked her for a couple minutes before she finally gave me a shot. I hit her, but she sailed off about 100 yards before she dropped and died. On our way out, I went to pick her up, and you guessed it, another band. The Mallard hen made it my 9th banded duck. Pretty good Christmas gift I think. If I can ever figure out how to post the pics, I'll post the banded ducks and the Bluewing drakes in full plummage.

Awesome hunt. The weather, SWD's and all of the other reasons birds are short stopping is the reason you are still killing BWT. Birds aren't migrating nearly as far south as they used to. Flyways are changing. Things are changing. More hunters that don't know what they are doing.... more crippled birds.... long story.

Epic hunt... one to be remembered for a long time!