HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Fake, decoy corn (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/279348-fake-decoy-corn.html)

DougMD 12-20-2008 10:07 AM

Fake, decoy corn

Has anyone used it, and if so what kind and does it work. Where I hunted here recently, the corn had been cut a month or more ago and the geese cleaned it out. Now mostknow that, and it's hard to get them tocome in. I realize it islegal because it isn't bait, but figure maybe it will be a gooddecoy to bring them in.

CanadaSlammer69 12-20-2008 11:15 AM

RE: Fake, decoy corn

its a hoax. if the birds dont want to be there, you could throw out a hundred fake corn cobs and never convince a goose to drop in. Spend a few hours scouting and find a field the birds want to be in.

DougMD 12-20-2008 12:32 PM

Unfortunately, the farm where I hunt has only a few fields, none of which have more recently cut crops like they sometimes do. I was thinking that if geese fly over and see the decoy corn and geese, it might bring them in more than if there were just decoy geese. Same It sounds logical because they are masters of surviving, which entails determining which fields have food, and from what someone tells me,they are good at picking out yellow incorn. However, I haven't heard anything about real experience with it to seeif it worksor not toknow for sure, hence the thread.

Colorado Luckydog 12-20-2008 12:54 PM

Waiste of money! One of my best fields is nothing but dirt and we kill the chit out of themthere. Good decoy spread, good flagging, concealment, and some good calling is all you need. Don't buy into the string of wings and the fake corn crap, because that's all it is is crap.

johnch 12-20-2008 03:30 PM

Check your game laws also before you use them

A few states look at the fake corn , just like real corn and will ticket you for baiting , I believe PA is one

Can't figure that one out

But I was shown the ticket for doing it

John

mike2355 12-20-2008 03:49 PM

check your regulations. A group did that in my area, they painted about 50 water bottles yellow and threw them in their spread and the c.o. busted them for baiting. All you need is good calling, good location,good decoys and GOOD concealment and you should be good. I wouldn't use them.

duckdog132 12-23-2008 07:19 PM

agreed with above post if they dont want to come in, a ear of corn isnt going to change their minds. when they circle they arent looking for where they see the food. they are looking for anything out of the ordenary so decoy spread and good cammo is what will kill you more birds. jmo.
Jeff S

ICALL2MUCH 12-23-2008 08:13 PM

You don't need fake corn.

Good luck!