Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Painting and improving duck boat >

Painting and improving duck boat

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Painting and improving duck boat

Old 04-07-2003, 04:13 PM

Default Painting and improving duck boat

Im going to paint my duck boat, and i was looking for some advice. It is 14 ft long, about 4-4.5 ft wide(John boat). Most of our duck hunting is in a marsh. How much paint do i need, and what colors do i want. Also, should i draw a reed design on it or paint it all kinds of camo. Just to let you know, it is already painted an ugly camo, so is there a way to strip it off, or can i just paint right over it. I am also going to want to put some of those decoy holders on the the sides of the boat. I hope you know what i mean by that. Where are those available to buy, or what is the easiest stuff to make it out of? Also, what should i use to pad the inside of the boat. Some kind of carpet or padding?

Thanks for all the ifo, and if you guys have any other tips, please let me know.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Painting and improving duck boat

Great off-season project! I painted my duck boat a couple years ago. I use to have a boat that was painted in a light camo brown ( I had pictured it blending in with brown cattails) but it seemed to really stick out when I would see it in the weeds at a distance. I changed it to a dark green with black stripes for weeds, and it looks much better. If you think about it, your boat sits only about 12" -18" above the water line when your in it, so your better off trying to blend it with the water than the weeds. The black stripes resemble cattail shadows.

On the inside I have the brown carpet that came with the boat. I used black and dark green spray paint to cover the carpet with a camo pattern, I also use large pieces of camo burlap to cover the floor while I' m hunting ( the stuff gets really heavy when wet, but it' s pretty cheap, and does a good job of covering up).

As far as the decoy holders go, I don' t know for sure where you could find them, but Cabela' s might be a good place to start.

Good luck. Like I said, thats a great off season project. The only problem with doing it now is that duck season is still 6 months away! Later...