Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Gun Fell In, NEED HELP

Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Spike

Default RE: Gun Fell In, NEED HELP

Need to also mention - DONT GO BY YOURSELF - I dont want your mom coming after anyone here because you were dumb enough to go by yourself. I have had plenty of experiance with cold water - once you jump in it will take your breath away stay focused jump feet first (so you dont hit your head) try to getit the first time - GL
Old 12-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 2eagles

You're crying because you lost a shotgun........
You should be happy to be alive. People have died in similar situations.
Maybe you should count your blessings and call the season over. WORK EXTRA next summer and buy another shotgun for next year.
Makes me think of the line in the old Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) movies. "Feelin' lucky, Punk?"
Not that you are a punk, but, "Feelin lucky?" Jim
Jeez, little harsh don't ya think? I don't believe he asked us to help him think of things to be thankful for and ways to save money. He asked if anyone had any suggestions on how to pull a shotgun from the bottom of a river. But thanks anyway for the fatherly comments. Maybe you wouldn't sweat losing a high-dolla shotgun, but I know I would as would most other folks.

dkhunter, I wouldn't give up on the magnets. My cousins and I, just like you, do not like to lose shotguns at the bottom of coldrivers. Also like you, we opted not to sit out the season counting our blessings and actually got our butts back out there and found the gun we lost. The magnets can take a while to get the perfect lock on the gun, but they work. If you really think you're not gonna be able to get it with the magnet, I'd suggest you look into borrowing a drysuit or hiring a diver. Be VERY careful if you get in that water with or without a suit and make sure you take someone with you.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

good luck man i sure hope u get it..
Old 12-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Crow, not harsh at all! Fatherly, YES!!! I can't help myself, I am a father and grandfather. I told my son about thisthread and he agreed with me. No gun is worth someone's life. Now, before you question his "guts", let me tell you about him. Six years active Army, served in the Iraq war, now in theArmy Reserves, apoliceman and oh, no, a father! I stick with my post.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oyster tongs.

Probably not real availble up in that part of the world.... so what I would do is use a boat hook and try to snag it by the trigger guard or by the sling (if you had the forethought to attach a sling..... thats why ALL duck guns should have slings.... while ungainly and often in the way... it might help you get your gun back).

One of those long expandable decoy retreivers with the hook on the end would be perfect.

If you were in my part of the world.... it would already be gone... either rusted to death or the tide and mud would have silted it under.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Spike

count it as a loss.. my ex-wife told me if i was walking over the dam when i went gouse hunting
if i slip and fall she said just toss the gun it can be replaced you can't
Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trailbreaker

count it as a loss.. my ex-wife told me if i was walking over the dam when i went gouse hunting
if i slip and fall she said just toss the gun it can be replaced you can't
That was nice of her. Most ex-wives I know would have advised holding on to the gun and going down with it!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Spike

this was her 22
Old 12-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 2eagles

Crow, not harsh at all! Fatherly, YES!!! I can't help myself, I am a father and grandfather. I told my son about this thread and he agreed with me. No gun is worth someone's life. Now, before you question his "guts", let me tell you about him. Six years active Army, served in the Iraq war, now in theArmy Reserves, a policeman and oh, no, a father! I stick with my post.
Crow, not harsh at all! Fatherly, YES!!! I can't help myself, I am a father and grandfather. I told my son about this thread and he agreed with me. No gun is worth someone's life. Now, before you question his "guts", let me tell you about him. Six years active Army, served in the Iraq war, now in theArmy Reserves, a policeman and oh, no, a father! I stick with my post.
Look here Eagles, I am not trying to get some sympathy or anything like that, god knows I am thankful to be alive, and that I wasn't laid up in the hospital with hypothermia. But with that being said I know where my gun is and I think it is stupid of me to let the first gun I bought lay on the bottom of a river and rust. Maybe you won the lottery or are a Doctor or some high paying profession and can go through guns like its your job. But me like most guys are your average waterfowl hunter who don't have $500 a season to throw away. Your comment about your son makes no sense, I am grateful he is a vet, my brother is active Navy right now, but who is questioning his guts about the situation. I am not going to dive for this gun, at least not during the winter when there is ice out. Its too deep and too dangerous.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

Even if you get it back, aren't you gonna like completely have to rebuild the gun because of rust and mud/muck?
I'd just save up and buy a new one.
Since he didnt get it back in the first couple days then yes, the rust and muck will ruin the gun, so i agree

Quick Reply: Gun Fell In, NEED HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.