Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

new gun turkey/waterfowl

Old 12-08-2008, 06:47 PM

Default RE: new gun turkey/waterfowl

I just bought a new 11-87 cause my Stoeger crapped out on me. It is awesome!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

There's a reason that manufacturers haven't offered guns with pistol grips over the years. It is more of a specialty use stock, and most hunters would not like it for wingshooting. An 870 is an excellent shotgun, especially if you prefer a pump it's the best there is IMO. You're better off getting a gun with a 26" or 28" barrell, both for better swing as well as the fact that you'll find a lot of guys don't want to hunt in a blind with someone shooting a 24" barrel, as the muzzle blast your buddies are exposed to is worse with that shorter barrel. A longer barrel swings better, simple as that.

What you use for turkeys really doesn't matter. Just about any shotgun that hits where you aim it will work fine. And remember, you aim at turkeys, you don't just point like you do when wingshooting.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:04 PM

crazy question i just aquired a stoeger p-350 with a 24" barrel the gun belonged to my huntin buddy and i have watched him knock down ducks all year long with it and i took it out this weekend and had no problems whatsoever. do you mean ballistically? Just curious. I took a lot of ribbin from guys on our first hunt this year cause i hunted with 2 3/4" #6's and an o/u. They bragged on their 3 1/2" loads and how the smaller shells just werent gonna cut it but i still managed to limit out. It was just a matter of preference i guess. I love my 24"! not tryin to stir nothin up just wonderin maybe ill learn somethin lol.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtater

crazy question i just aquired a stoeger p-350 with a 24" barrel the gun belonged to my huntin buddy and i have watched him knock down ducks all year long with it and i took it out this weekend and had no problems whatsoever. do you mean ballistically? Just curious. I took a lot of ribbin from guys on our first hunt this year cause i hunted with 2 3/4" #6's and an o/u. They bragged on their 3 1/2" loads and how the smaller shells just werent gonna cut it but i still managed to limit out. It was just a matter of preference i guess. I love my 24"! not tryin to stir nothin up just wonderin maybe ill learn somethin lol.
You were duck hunting with 2 3/4" 6's?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Being a Browning fan, I would recommond the Browning "GOLD" . Excellent gun!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

ORIGINAL: bigtater

You were duck hunting with 2 3/4" 6's?

Yeah slaughter teal with em and have killed plenty of big ducks with em they die just fine with the sixes. At the time it was all i had and it worked. Now i have my stoeger and i shoot 3" #4s or 3 1/2" #2 black cloud depending on my allowance for the week.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Rory, do you find it surprising that people can kill ducks with 2 3/4" shells and 6s? I've been hunting ducks for 41 years and have shot a lot of ducks over that period of time, a lot of ducks. I'll say that 98% of the birds I've killed were with a 2 3/4" gun & shells and a substantial portion of those were shot with 6s. I've even killed lots of ducks with 7 1/2s back when you could shoot lead, and god forbid, have shot teal with 8sin those days. Nowadays, I mostly shoot 4s, but still use 2 3/4" shells.

You don't need 3" or especially 3 1/2" loads if you are shooting decoying birds. You do, however, need to know how to call and work birds in close enough to kill them cleanly on a regular basis. You also need to have the discipline to not take long shots and to wait for the birds to be in range.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Benelli M2...26 in barrell. It works great. I use a patternmaster choke to shoot ducks and when season is over I change the choke to a Jelly Head and am 4/4 on turkey shots with this combo.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure I would like a pistol grip for waterfowl as I do most of my hunting from a lay-out blind, so I can see it getting caught on clothes and such. Personally, I have a Beretta Extrema with a 24" barrel and shoot ducks, turkey and geese with no problem. Just change the choke and keep shooting. I like the 24" barrel because it's a little shorter and more maneuverable.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: CAelknuts

Rory, do you find it surprising that people can kill ducks with 2 3/4" shells and 6s? I've been hunting ducks for 41 years and have shot a lot of ducks over that period of time, a lot of ducks. I'll say that 98% of the birds I've killed were with a 2 3/4" gun & shells and a substantial portion of those were shot with 6s. I've even killed lots of ducks with 7 1/2s back when you could shoot lead, and god forbid, have shot teal with 8sin those days. Nowadays, I mostly shoot 4s, but still use 2 3/4" shells.

You don't need 3" or especially 3 1/2" loads if you are shooting decoying birds. You do, however, need to know how to call and work birds in close enough to kill them cleanly on a regular basis. You also need to have the discipline to not take long shots and to wait for the birds to be in range.

Thank you!

Quick Reply: new gun turkey/waterfowl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.