Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Help Please!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help Please!!!

I am leaving in two weeks to go to Arkansas on a duck hunt. I am from the panhandle of Florida and I do duck hunt here but its mostly woodies. I will be taking a Barreta Al391 Urikaand a Browning Citori over and under. What shell and choke combo do you guys recommend. I was thinking about going with the Winchester Supreme steel or the Federal Black Cloud. What size shot do you recommend?I usually shoot Winchester Dryloc #2 or #3.We will be hunting over flooded rice fields. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help Please!!!

I would use what you already use. The Winchester is a good brand. If you will be pass shooting, then move up to BB if it patterns well out of your gun.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 AM
JW
Super Moderator

As said = I sue 2s and 3s - Modified choke ONLY! or Improved Modified - Full choke with steel is a No-no.

JW
Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stick with the no. 2 shot. To increase your chances of killing moreducks, go with an IC choke.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love Fasteel in #1's. I shoot with an improved-cylinder choke.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Your DryLocs will work fine. I have used them for years. Black Cloud is also a great choice if you use the correct choke with it, which is IC.

We recently had a lively discussion on shells. Everyonewas friendly and agreedwith each otheras towhich shells are the best at this link : http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3121977
Old 12-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I hope the ducks will cooperate when we get up there. I guess I will just keep shooting the Winchester steel. Probably the Supreme 3in. #2's.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call me crazy but i would go with 3" #4 I would also stick with the Drylocs as well. I would use a Modified choke too it seams to be the best all around choke. Like Rory/Mo said you cant go wrong with Kent Fasteel.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

One question that may have some bearing on the shot and chokeI'd use, are you hunting timber or fields in Arkansas?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

One question that may have some bearing on the shot and chokeI'd use, are you hunting timber or fields in Arkansas?
Rice fields. Next to last sentence.

As Rory was going to point out... shots in the timber are a lot tighter than those in the rice fields CAN be.

Your supreme #2s with a Mod choke should be just the ticket. If you decide to shoot the O/U and the birds work real tight... use a IC/Mod... if they are lighting wide... go with a Mod/ImpMod.

On windy... sunshine days in the timber.... I've had to put the old straight Cylendar choke in... nothing like mallards at 15 yards baby!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.