Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

10 ga anyone?

Old 11-12-2008, 12:48 PM

Default 10 ga anyone?

Well first things first. In am a new member to the forum so hello to everyone. This is also my first year to duck hunt and i know i have much to learn. My question is this. What are some other manufacturers that make a 10 ga other than browning and remington? My huntin buddy shoots a stoeger 3 1/2" pump gun and that thing kicks like a mule. I had a chance to shoot a browning bps a couple weeks ago and really was more comfortable shooting it than the stoeger didnt seem to be as painful. now i already know everyone is gonna say overkill but in my defense i already own an 870 express 3" gun and a late 70's model 1100 3" both are great guns just want a little extra. any advice or info will be much appreciated.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 PM

Default RE: 10 ga anyone?

my dad got a ithaca mag ten only use it for goose once in a while.............they dont kick at all.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

The Ithaca and the Remington are the same design. Remington bought the patent rights some time ago and made some slight improvements. The Ithaca's were notorious for having to be really clean to shoot reliably. Not a terrible thing just a little aggravating. The Ithaca's are no longer made just the Remington's, but you can findused ones.Browning makes the BPS and the Gold in a 10ga. That about limits your big bore choices. Benelli nor Beretta ever got into the 10ga game.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:27 PM

wow did not know ithaca made a 10ga. Do you know how much they run? The bps seems pretty good and prolly bout the cheapest tax and all about $750. I really liked the looks of the remington till i found out an sp-10 was over a grand. once again thanks guys for the help.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

The Ithaca's will tend to be a little less than the Remington's. But all you will find will be used one's. You can find used Sp-10's too... The used one's I've seen in decent shap go between 600 for an Ithaca up to 900 for a Remington. An auto will always be higher than a pump simply due to it being more complex of a design with more moving parts, etc, etc...
Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 PM

Another thing to consider with a 10 ga. is the price and availability of ammo here where I live in east TN. only one store carries it and is around 40.00 a box just a food for thought. My buddy hunts with a Browning Gold Hunter and those are some of the problems he has.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Browning Auto 10 Gold when they 1st changed to steel shot.
I sold it 5 years ago when the ammo started to become faster and better.
I choose to buya Benelli SBE 3 1/2"(Super Mag)and never regretted it.
This gun is also gas operated, so it takes some of the sting out of shot and is FAR LIGHTER!
Maybe consider trading your others to upgrade tothe Super Mag?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:32 PM

man i checked out the ithaca and thats a fine lookin gun but ive never seen one around here. Also i can get ammo in town around here for about $27 a box and theres a bass pro not too far also so im not worried about that. really likin the pump cause ive heard the horror stories behind the autos and considerin my 870 was in the bottom of our boat when it was flipped along with another guys 1100 monday morn i never had a hiccup just shook the water out and rocked on his would shoot but only 3" afterwards. im really gonna hate buyin a new gun to trash in a duck blind lol. i gave $179 for my 870 used and in great shape mechanically few scratches here and there and i take care of it just know its gonna get abused lol. Im really leanin towards gettin a camo bps to combat the rust prob.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

I had a Browning Auto 10 Gold when they 1st changed to steel shot.
I sold it 5 years ago when the ammo started to become faster and better.
This gun is also gas operated, so it takes some of the sting out of shot and is FAR LIGHTER!
Maybe consider trading your others to upgrade tothe Super Mag?
Do you mean your Benelli is gas operated?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Your Benelli is inertia driven... ie. recoil operated... takes some punch out of recoil but nothing like a gas gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.