Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

shotgun shells debate

Old 10-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shotgun shells debate

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

ORIGINAL: huntnteen

a conversation i had yesterday

Game warden(well looking at a pil;e of birds): You guys did great out there. Those hevi-shot sure do the trick dont they?

Me: Nope, not hevi's at all, most of these geese were killed with 3" BB/BBB's, why waste the money on hevis when they die for cheap rounds.

there that should answer your question, i shoot what is affordable, and just learn how each siz patterns with my gun
You guys are using BBB's on ducks?
No, we use everything from 3's-BBs on the ducks, and B's-T's on the geese
Old 11-03-2008, 08:26 PM

i love the black cloud... i use 3 in, #2, never had a problem with my mossberg 500. folds upducks right away.

although i ve heard that they dont work very good with gas operated semis, they seem to work great with pumps. i could be wrong...
Old 11-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Black Cloud
Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 AM

I like#4,5 & 6's"steel" for killin' ducks &I shoot the fast stuff around 1500-1550fps as "speed kills". I like Federal Premium Ultra-Shok HV, Winchester Supremes & Kent FastSteel. I have never shot Black Cloud, Bismuth, Hevi-Shot, etc. & lifes to short to shoot the "cheap" stuff as the shot usually isn't consistant, has poor ballistics & will leave your gun super dirty.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cessna Flyer

I shoot Federal 3" 2's and 3.5"BB's
Winchester 3" Xpert or Drylok 4's all in 12GA

20ga, Federal 3" 4's
I shoot almost the same rig... It cycles better in my 11-87 than the remington loads do...
Old 11-11-2008, 06:29 PM

for ducks I shoot winchester 3 inch 2to shot and for geese I shoot Federal Premium 3 1/2 inch BB
Old 11-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

ORIGINAL: FIREEMT1271

i shoot black clouds

I'm sorry to hear that!

I'm guessin you're new to waterfowling, so go with somethin cheaper, and more reliable... me and the people i talk to have had way too many bad experiences with blackclouds. The cheap winchester steel loads should do you fine right now. I shoot Federal ultrashoks. I still don't care for the flight control wads.
You and the people you talk to should try Blackclouds on decoyed geese. Why would you say he was new to waterfowling if he uses Blackcloud? I've been waterfowling for years, and have killed thousands of birds and I use Blackcloud. If you are shooting decoyed birds you can use anything, but I prefer Blackcloud over the rest. They are almost as cheap as Kent Faststeel and work much better. I have been a fan of Kent and will continue to use it, but Blackcloud is as good as it gets without going to real exspensive chit. If I were to hunt in a competition tomorrowI would have tungsten, but if it were for fun I would have Blackcloud or Kent. Anyone who doesn't like it,has probably never really used it. JMHO
Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

ORIGINAL: FIREEMT1271

i shoot black clouds

I'm sorry to hear that!

I'm guessin you're new to waterfowling, so go with somethin cheaper, and more reliable... me and the people i talk to have had way too many bad experiences with blackclouds. The cheap winchester steel loads should do you fine right now. I shoot Federal ultrashoks. I still don't care for the flight control wads.
You and the people you talk to should try Blackclouds on decoyed geese. Why would you say he was new to waterfowling if he uses Blackcloud? I've been waterfowling for years, and have killed thousands of birds and I use Blackcloud. If you are shooting decoyed birds you can use anything, but I prefer Blackcloud over the rest. They are almost as cheap as Kent Faststeel and work much better. I have been a fan of Kent and will continue to use it, but Blackcloud is as good as it gets without going to real exspensive chit. If I were to hunt in a competition tomorrowI would have tungsten, but if it were for fun I would have Blackcloud or Kent. Anyone who doesn't like it,has probably never really used it. JMHO
RAWR!!! Take a chill pill man.

I guessed he was new to waterfowling by reading his other posts; not because he uses blackcloud.

I have used blackcloud, and I don't like it. Thats that. Of course I've used it: why would I talk trash on something that I know nothing about????

Old 11-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Black Cloud is so much better than anything I've shot in it's price range. I have a supply of Kent that needs to go away, and I will use it until it's gone, and will buy it again if need be. However, I am a Black Cloud fan and have seen what it will do first hand. I shot more limits last year using less shells than ever. I also had less cripples with birds falling grave yard dead. It is so effective that I have to be careful when there is only one bird left to fill my limit. I dropped 2 birds with one shot so many times last year it was comical. You guys can use what you want( I prostaff for no company), but it cracks me up when I hear someone say that Black Cloud is not that good. They flat just don't know what they are talking about.

Edit- No chill pill needed, I call 'em like I see 'em, and I'm a very seasoned waterfowler.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:11 AM

"You and the people you talk to should try Blackclouds on decoyed geese."..............I think you could use sporting clay loads on decoyed geese. But that aside, I have used Black Clouds in my beretta xtrema 2 with a briley extended and ported choke and it was horrible. Haven't tried them with any other choke, but I had to give the rest of what I had away. It could have been my gun/choke combo and not the shells...i don't know. I say shoot what works the best for you and nevermind that I or anybody else don't like em.

Quick Reply: shotgun shells debate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.