HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Good Call Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/269184-good-call-question.html)

bcvd45 10-21-2008 10:49 AM

Good Call Question

Ok so, my brother has been duck hunting for a couple years now and has only been able to get a few cheap calls. He finally buckeled down and decided he would save enough so he could get himself a fairly nice one. But then he realized.....I dont know what a fairly nice call is. Which is why i come to you on his behalf. I was wondering if you had suggestions on either a brand or a specific call. Or maybe a call that you have come across that is very nice for its mid range price. From what it sounds like he is willing to spend a pretty good amount on one so any idea would be helpful....Thanks!

deke12ga 10-21-2008 11:35 AM

RE: Good Call Question

As far as middle of the road calls go there not much better than the cheaper calls you can get at Wal mart IMO. Maybe a little better sound but they still stick and squeal and what not. If he's looking an easy to blow top end call the Rich-N-Tone original's are just as good as money can buy. ($130) The RNTshort barrels are good too if you like/need a quieter call. (thats what I have) Pretty much any acrylic call will fit the bill. Just be ready to drop at least a $100 or more.

Crowkilla 10-21-2008 11:44 AM

I like Rich N Tone and Echo.

pahntr760 10-21-2008 12:00 PM

I bought a Spit-Tech from sportsmans for $40. It never sticks, squells, or otherwise fails. Buck Gardner makes an awesome call!!

WildlifePhoto 10-21-2008 12:58 PM

One of the best mallard calls you can get is Haydel's DR-85. It is very inexpensive, but any truthful call manufacturer will tell you it has put more ducks on the water than any other call. I use it all the time. You can get it for under $20.

With expensive calls - you are paying for expensive plastics, a metal band, and someone's name attached to it. That does niot mean it sounds more realistic, or is better.

bcvd45 10-21-2008 02:11 PM

Thanks guys that ought to really help.

FIREEMT1271 10-23-2008 07:20 PM

i second the buck gardner calls. they have instructional cd's , and you can see some calling sessions on youtube.

goose142004 10-25-2008 09:16 AM

i have a foiles timber rattler in ivory. it was 125 bucks.it is so easy to blow and is really comfortable to hold for long hours of calling and have never had a bit of problems with it. if i ever get another call it will without a doubt be the same one!!

JW 11-07-2008 04:24 PM

Prairie Game calls -

JW

2footroper 11-10-2008 02:10 PM

Haydels are all I use. There are all different price ranges but the basic ones are great.