Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Motion Decoys

Old 10-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Motion Decoys

I'm looking at getting a motion decoy, but cant decide on what one to get. My coices are (limited budget)

1) Baby Mojo Mallard
2) Mojo Teal
3) Edge Expedite Hot Shot Mallard

All are $60 at cabelas. I'm ordering a jacket for my girl and need to make a $150 order to get the cheap shipping. All of the stores around here a sold out of the motion decoy's. Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 11:25 AM

Default RE: Motion Decoys

mojo always works........I wanna get the mojo teal but cant tell you how well it works....but the mallard is key on field hunts.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need a mojo when you're hunting. Motorized decoys are recent in the hunting industry; people have been hunting with great success for hundreds of years without them. I will say that however, they do work to your advantage MOST OF THE TIME. If I were to get a motorized duck decoy, I would get one that you could turn off and on remotely. Here is my reasoning:We had a regular mojo mallard out on the past few hunts, and for some reason the ducks had a hard time committing and were flaring frequently. We figured it was the mojo... the ducks could see the mojo spinning, and when they came in, they saw that the mojo was stilltrying to land after they crossed the channel. Theres no way that a duck will hover in the same spot for over a minute trying to land; the birds picked up on this and would flare or just not come in at all. We walked out there, put away the mojo, and it was like miracle work. Walla! The ducks would commit with no problem after that.

I'm saying to get a remote decoy because you can turn off the wings after the birds get to a certain distance. Make it look way more realistic.

Just my .02
Old 10-13-2008, 10:28 PM

I have never used their duck decoys, but a buddy of mine brought a Mojo dove decoy out to the farm and we set it ina cornfield with several stationary decoys, and five or six more decoys hooked to fishing line and sinkers and tossed over a power wire and pulled up.

From across the field it really looked like a dove landing.

It seemed to work well, we all killed our limit.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive hunted over the mojo dove and it brought some of the birds in, they were birds they may have scooted out of range but decided to check out the movement in our spread, so id go with the cheapest of your choices, and dont rule out using a dove deacoy
Old 10-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

What about some of the motion devices that merely create ripples in the surface of the water, giving the illusion of motion to your decoy spread on still days? The mojo can be useful sometimes, but I've got to think that ducks get wise to the mojo, particularly on bright, clear days. I think on bright clear days -- motionless water -- you might be ahead with the substantially less expensive ripple creating device. Having said this, I do not yet own one of these ripple devices. This makes me mindful to go buy one or two.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:11 PM

I have heard great things about the mojo's
Old 10-18-2008, 09:53 AM

I have the baby mojo and it seemed to work pretty good for early Teal season. We will see how it does in the regular season. You can buy a remote control unit for the mojo, actually you can buy two. One just turns it on or off, the other is programable to leave it on for various amounts of time. Both are available from Cabela's I believe.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

id save up some $ and git a remote. there is a time and a place for mottorized decoys. early season is usually great but like this weekend i went out and we were slaughtering them jus plain decoys and no calling. the guys across the pond had the mojo goin and ducks kept flaring and when they got the flaired even quicker. they eventually stopped the mojo and got one duckthis morning to our limit
Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 AM

i got the mojos, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. most the time i just use the good old jerk string to get motion and it works time in and time out.

Quick Reply: Motion Decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.