Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 make a spread with 6doz dekes to choose from >

make a spread with 6doz dekes to choose from

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

make a spread with 6doz dekes to choose from

Old 10-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default make a spread with 6doz dekes to choose from

here's my lastest ponder. I"ve desided to put together a 6doz spread. i will keep 3-4doz in their own 12 slot bag to keep looking good cause they would be my main dekes. and the remaining 2-3 doz would be fillers to the spread and all kept in a bag together.
so now i need to pick the species and the style. I'm thinking oversized mallards for the 3-4 doz main decoys and maybe the cheap hot buy mallards as the fillers since i won't care about them getting beat up.
but i don't know if i want a 100% mallard spread. (although i think thats really all you need).
so what's your opinion?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: make a spread with 6doz dekes to choose from

I'm sure that a mallard spread is all you need, but a few different species mixed in your spread definitely will not hurt. For example, from what I've seen teal tend to hangout with their own kind and pair off, so some tealdecoys in the spread will probably make them more likely to light into your spread. Also, it would just make your spread look more realistic. Greenhead Gear has some puddler packs if you didn't already know, that have 6 decoys, like drake/hen pintail, teal, and gadwall decoys. Like I said, i dont thinkits a necessity, but it would hurt at all.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

I like to throw in some deek's with white on them for some color. Pintails, Widgeon, Ringnecks... whatever is prevelant in your area. Just a few to add some flash.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

by the time my duck season opens there's no teal around. i start thanksgiving day.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah. No need for teal dekes then Deke12ga is right about the black and white. I'd also get some dekes with some black or white cuz they're the two most visible colors; the ducks can see them further than normal.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I run around 15 deacs, 12 mallards 3-4 supermag Pintails
Old 10-06-2008, 08:44 PM

I use 8doz, 6doz regular, 2doz magnums, and throw in a couple feeders, if shallow enuff water, a couple shakers in the water, and a couple mojo's, makes for a good duck soup.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since all the fellas that i hunt with all have dekes, we just mix our dekes. I've marked my dekes with a grinding tool that says "CH." The dekes that i throw out are the dekes that i want to get back, because i take care of my dekes while my buddies don't. Paint scratches just make my bones twist.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:36 PM

Just about anything will work. I have about 50 old antique decoys that my great grandad picked up around the shoreback during the market hunting days. Most of them are Scaup and canvasbacks but they work!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:21 PM

depends what you are hunting and where in my opinion. when i hunt public i like to get away from mallards and throw some gaddy's and pinny's on the outside. i honestly believe the white on the penny's help catch the attention of passing ducks and most the people i see on public are throwing mainly mallets so i like having something different. thow some widgeons as well. all mallets will work but on public i think throwing something different helps out. private ground throw whatever. i have heard the duck parks can be hunted well with coot decs also but just can't pay money for a coot decoy.