HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   hey what do you think of hevie shot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/264440-hey-what-do-you-think-hevie-shot.html)

tred 09-22-2008 04:24 PM

hey what do you think of hevie shot

hey just woundering what shells u shot last week for michigans earlie goose season we shot are limit two days in a row with hevie shot i shot one 60 yards up and he was dead before he hit the ground

wdog1 09-22-2008 06:35 PM

RE: hey what do you think of hevie shot

Hevi-shot is way to expensive..........we mostly shoot are birds no farther then 35 yards out so kent fast-steel is the ticket.......I do keep a few boxes of hevi shot though just for pass shooting.

johnch 09-22-2008 08:58 PM

I use it for geese that will not finish ( 35+ yds )
Or for pass shooting

The newRemington HD is as good or better

As myNephew has been dropping geese stone dead at 30 - 40 yds with his 20 gauusing 3" #4 HD and my 2 3/4" #4 Hevi reloads

IMO if the geese are decoying
No need to use it
Never had a problem with my 1 1/8 oz reload of #B steel on ant goose inside 30 yds

John

Chris_H 09-22-2008 09:24 PM

Hevi-shot is all hype. No more to say.

GordonGekko 09-23-2008 08:58 AM

Hevi-shot (and the heavier than lead alternatives)work real well.... comparing them to steel is like comparing a Yugo to a Corvette, they both do the job, but one is much better at it than the other.....

excalibur43 09-23-2008 12:43 PM

I would like to try it, but it's way up there in the $$$$.

lakeinX2 09-23-2008 02:05 PM

In my opinion for 20 gauge guns for kids it is good, it compensates for the bigger steel which hevi shot uses smaller shot that packs a punch meaning more pellets, but in the other hand some not so responsible "shooters" and (some may bash me) get the thought in their heads that "man I'm using HS I can hit him" and shot not so carefully and shoot borderline shots cripleing birds or just flat out educating birds. I have used it before and it is awsome but it does the same damage within my 35yd comfort zone that my steel does, and plus $30.00 for 10ct or $24.00 for 25ct. Be easy just my opinion!

SwampCollie 09-23-2008 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: lakeinX2

In my opinion for 20 gauge guns for kids it is good, it compensates for the bigger steel which hevi shot uses smaller shot that packs a punch meaning more pellets, but in the other hand some not so responsible "shooters" and (some may bash me) get the thought in their heads that "man I'm using HS I can hit him" and shot not so carefully and shoot borderline shots cripleing birds or just flat out educating birds. I have used it before and it is awsome but it does the same damage within my 35yd comfort zone that my steel does, and plus $30.00 for 10ct or $24.00 for 25ct. Be easy just my opinion!

See I'm the other way around. I'm not going to throw $3 in the air unless I'm dang near positive I'll have a bird to show for it.... leave it to me to spend $3 to kill a bird at 10 yards I could have killed with a load of steel #4s! :( I don't make no sense I know!

GordonGekko 09-23-2008 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: lakeinX2

You are absolutely correct that some folks will try "barrel stretcher" shots if they are using Hevi-Shot....those are usually the same folks that shoot kicks high-flyer chokes, Federal Blackcloud, or Kent Fasteel and try those really long shots....I am not knocking any of those products, they all work well but folks tend to think they are going to make them into "bird blasting machines" and take marginal or worse shots....

One thing I don't mention in reference is the effective range of a heavier than steel load, because in my experience the most limiting factor with a shotgun shell is the guy pulling the trigger....there are more folks than anybody wants to admit who cannot consistently make 25 yard shots on a duck...and many of those can't judge the distance properly either...which leads us to the ultimate issue, the most important part of a hunt is the hunter, practice shooting all you can, learn how to judge distance, learn the different leads and you'll find yourself shooting a lot less and enjoying it a lot more.... the advantage Hevi-shot has to me is that it, because of it's pattern density, tends knock birds "dead" more often than steel, and since my dog is getting older and I don't want to risk losing any birds when I shoot two birds I want them both to fall dead, not to fall and be able to dive...she is a good dog and enjoys the chase, but I don't..... this is probably one reason I notice I shoot a lot less with Hevi-shot than steel shot....

excalibur43 09-24-2008 01:26 PM

I am alot older shotgunner now than years past. I am sure my shooting isn't as good as it once was. I try to keep my shots as close to 35 yards and in as I can. Many ducks and geese last year I just knocked the feathers off of,and watched them fly away. Hevi-shot sounds great, but I just can't justify the cash! Maybe if I was shooting Hevi-Shot last year, I may have killed a few more birds, but you can't get them all. I guess, being older now, I find it just as enjoyable to be out there and shooting at birds whether I get them or not. I think, for me, I will just try to keep my shots at aneffective range for my Steel loads. I will probably still kill a few, and of course miss a few, but enjoy the hunt.