Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 wood stocks for duck hunting? >

wood stocks for duck hunting?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

wood stocks for duck hunting?

Old 09-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Spike

Default wood stocks for duck hunting?

will the wood stock on the remington 870 hold up to the wet weather encountered while duck hunting?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wood stocks for duck hunting?

It will work fine i would worry more about the barrel and stuff rusting.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 870 has been duck hunting since 1973... wood on it still looks great. Duck hunting isn't as hard on equipment as a lot of people make it out to be. Its just that lots of duck hunters are lazy and think that its cool to paddle a boat with a gun.... its not. If you treat it like a red headed step child... then it won't last. Take care of it... and your grand kids will shoot it too.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

My 870 has been duck hunting since 1973... wood on it still looks great. Duck hunting isn't as hard on equipment as a lot of people make it out to be. Its just that lots of duck hunters are lazy and think that its cool to paddle a boat with a gun.... its not. If you treat it like a red headed step child... then it won't last. Take care of it... and your grand kids will shoot it too.

in no means baby your 870 my friend use it the way it was made for.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wdog1

in no means baby your 870 my friend use it the way it was made for.

You mean they shoot birds with it. That they do very well.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:42 AM

If you treat it like a red headed step child... then it won't last.
i have treated mine this way through the years and it still goes bang when i pull the trigger. if it is bad weather it is the only shotgun that goes with me.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Inactive

My duck gun is the one my dad purchesed in 1938. A win. model 12, 12 ga. The stock and forarm on that gun are as good as new. Mind you a bit of the lustre is gone from the finish. Just take care of it and your wood stock will last for decades. BTW, that shotgun has been used for both duck and upland birds, in all kinds of weather.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Spike

well i ended up with synthetic because they had the supermag for only $20 more. they only had synthetic but im happy. synthetic was my original choice.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Fork Horn

There is nothing wrong with synthetic stocks, in many ways they are superior. However, all of my shotguns have wood stocks. I duck hunt a lot, and have for over 40 years. I do not take good care of my guns, not as good as I should, and the wood is still fine on my shotguns. I mostly shoot a Beretta A302 that is about 25 years old, and yes, it has been used as a boat paddle a few times, as well as abused in other ways. The stock is still mostly in good shape. I have an 870 that is about 45 years old, and the wood on it is great, even though it's been really abused over the years. The bluing is largely worn away, but the wood is good. Both guns still hit where they're pointed.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Stick with the wood stock and buy a nice case for your gun and keep it cased until you get in the blind and are ready to shoot, and clean it good every time you go. I hunt with a Browning Superposed and it looks brand new in spite of salt spay, rain, sleet, and snow, because I clean it EVERY time.

You don't want a synthetic stock. Those things don't absorb recoil like wood. Several years ago a friend of mine bought a brand newSuper X2 with a synthetic stock andhe saidit kicked so bad he was going to sell it. I said I will buy it off you. He said "you better shoot it first" I did and the damn thing darn near dislocated my shoulder. I told him no thanks, and he took it to agun show andsold it formore than he paid. LOL

Quick Reply: wood stocks for duck hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.