HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Bad luck story...Good stuff! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/263551-bad-luck-story-good-stuff.html)

TeamFowlAssassins 09-17-2008 06:42 AM

Bad luck story...Good stuff!

So their is a pong that we hunt along with another guy who is a friend of ours who had permission before us. We get along so it works out good but we don't really hunt together. He doesn't hunt the pond much or geese really. So we were going to hunt the pond Monday night for geese being it was the last day of early season. My Dad calls me at lunchtime that day and tells me that our friend called him that monr. and he hunted the pond that Monday morning for a couple hours. He had 2 geese land wide about 50 yards from his decoys. So he waited for a bit because they were just hanging out....Then it was about time for him to leave for work and the geese had swam ina bit. So he jumped the geese since it was his onyl chance and got both of them! They both ended up being BANDED!!! He was real excited abou it, but at the same time those geese would have been loafing when we got there most likely had he not been hunting...Another case of being in the right place at the right time! Having a lot of bands deosn't mean you've killed a lot of birds! In most cases it means you got lucky or hunt a area where their are a lot!

ox1443 09-17-2008 08:40 AM

RE: Bad luck story...Good stuff!

Well, Isnt that somthing hey, And i agree with you 100% on that jsut becasue you gotalot ofbands doesnt meen you killed a whole lotta birds!

Chris_H 09-17-2008 08:41 AM

Dang thats great for him and unfortunate for yall! There's other birds with bands out there ;)

buckhunter14 09-17-2008 08:49 AM

That stinks man. Where are you at in West Michigan? I live north of GR about 20 minutes.

How did you do this year for early Goose?

yodeldog3 09-17-2008 06:43 PM

A goose with a band don't taste any different,

wdog1 09-17-2008 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: yodeldog3

A goose with a band don't taste any different,
yeah but it makes me feel better about myself

TeamFowlAssassins 09-18-2008 05:55 AM

Buck hunter I live about 5 miles east of Holland...Or south of Zeeland. We did pretty well this year but not as good as last year. I don't know the total tally yet for early season but it's in the high 60's for geese shot. But most importantly we had some good hunts where we got limits and had a lot of success hunting water this year. Their was a lot more pressure in the fields this year, and mor people hunting. We have a couple ponds on lease that really produced well! In fact it should only get better when duck/goose open up again!!!

This is also the first year on early season we haven't got a band in 6 years!!! Just that bad luck I guess...

kwacksmacker 09-18-2008 01:20 PM

i have hunted waterfowl for 20 years and never got a band. i hunt with a guy 8 years younger than me who has two, a guy 15 years younger that has 2 and my dad who has more than i care to count. i don't hunt for bands, i hunt for whistling wings, the cupped and committed visions and for flying filet mingeon. would mind getting a a few bands before i go to the holy hunting grounds but if i don't, doesn't make me any less of a waterfowler.