Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose and Duck Reporting

Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Goose and Duck Reporting

Last year I got letter in the mail from the department of the interior harvest surveys with a application for reporting my goose and duck harvests. They had columns for amount of birds, time date and location of kill.... and at the end of the year they asked me to send it in. Now this year they sent me a letter thanking me for participating in the survey and asked if this year they could send me envelopes to enclose particular feathers from birds to age them. So in August they send me about 30 large envelopes asking me to enclose 6 inch tips from 3 flight feathers and all the tail feathers from the geese, and the whole wing cut off from the body of ducks. They say they do this to determine how many young of the year were shot and to age the birds. I also have to fill out all the harvest information. Has this ever happened to anyone? I've never heard of this or talked to anyone that knew anything about it...
Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Goose and Duck Reporting

they do it at the checkstation at the refuges that i hunt, and my old hunting partner did it for manyy years
Old 09-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had them do that to me with ducks, but i do it every year with turkey.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:53 PM
XSV

I did it years ago when I was guiding here in Wisc. They seem to change the program a little throughout the years. I no longer do it.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:27 PM

They sent me the stuff when I lived in maryland never got around to doing it though.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

I had them ask me for that info way back when, fairly painless.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:25 PM

i seem to get the questionaire yearly and i got the request to cut the wings off and send them to them. not gonna do it this year asdriving back and forth to the post office would kill me in the land shark
Old 09-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

They tend to put you on that list when you kill a banded bird. Sometimes being a member of DU or Delta or something like that.

You don't have to do it.... but bear in mind that it doesn't exactly take much extra time. The greater the sample pool, the more accurate the harvest data... seasons, limits all that good stuff come directly from this info along with nesting pair and nest success surveys in the spring.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I don't mind doing it at all, I actually think it's kind of cool. So far I'vesent an envelope forI thinkall but 2 or 3 of the geese i shot. (Rushing and cleaning them late at night ) I did recieve the first questionaire the year after I shot 2 bands so that could be why I receieved that stuff. It's funny though my dad also shot 2 bands the same year as me and was never asked for any of this information.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

yeah last year they sent me the simple questionare survey you mentioned and I think i checked a box to be involved in future surveys. This set me up to get the thirty envelopes of which I have sent in all but a few as well, glad to help out when I can like someone said about the sample size, and it doesnt take to much time

Quick Reply: Goose and Duck Reporting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.