Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 I know there are 100 different Decoy post, but.... >

I know there are 100 different Decoy post, but....

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

I know there are 100 different Decoy post, but....

Old 09-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default I know there are 100 different Decoy post, but....

I am on a limited budget and need to start building a decoy spread. I was thinking a set of those "Hot Buy" Decoys and a couple of the "Marsh" puddler packs. OR 2 doz hot buy mallards and on set of the puddler. Whats your input.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I know there are 100 different Decoy post, but....

It all depends on what your target species is. If you aren't going to be encountering widgeon... then don't fool with widgeon decoys. Same for sprigs. I've killed just about every species of duck there is to kill in my part of the world (just about) with little more than mallard and black duck decoys. Granted, over the last five years or so my budget has become 10 times what it was, so I have a set of sprigs now and more mallards and more blacks... but I keep on whacking a mixed bag when I so desire.

Here is what I would do in your shoes: If you are planning on seriously duck hunting, not just dabbling at it, save some money and buy a six pack of Herter's Mag Mallards... armored if you are feeling spendy. Reason being.... Avery decoys look great, they really do. I've killed a lot of birds over them.... but... the paint is not going to last you. I baby my equipment. It drives the people I hunt with mad. But even at that, a set of Avery blocks will only last me two, maybe three seasons at the most before the paint beomes bad enough for me to deep six it or turn it into a big water deek.

If you are hunting pockets and ponds... six is probably all you'll need anyway. Those Herters will last you decades.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'm deploying soon, so my savings account will grow extensively. I will be replacing my decoys by next season, i just need to band-aid the situation until there. As far as species, we encounter widgeon,Gads, and teal, along with Mallards, golden eys, Buffle heads, shouvlers,and others, so where do i start or stop as far as species.

As far as water way size. Everything from sloughs to the great salt lake. but i think there will be more pot holes this year. Too many Golden Eyes and such last year in the sloughs.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 PM

hot buys are alwasy nice
Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

get a dozen mallards if you can, most birds will decoy to them, or at least they will on my little section of the nation
Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Fork Horn

if you are hunting puddle ducks (sounds like you are for the most part) start with Mallard decoys and then a few teal and be done with it until next year....

according to my friends at Avery the paint problems have been fixed, I had saw no problems with the ones I hunted over last year...it might be worth a shot for one season.....

my personal decoys are a combination of G&H and Higdon, magnum and super magnums...and for a longer term solution they work well....
Old 09-12-2008, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GordonGekko

according to my friends at Avery the paint problems have been fixed, I had saw no problems with the ones I hunted over last year...it might be worth a shot for one season.....

I'm glad they got it straight. They make a fine looking block at a very reasonable price. And, so as to not be a total hater here.... I do have 8 of their oversized goose floaters that are on their third season and they hardly have a scratch on them. They have held up extremely well. But the ducks do need some help... at least mine do.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

What about some Wideons or Gad's? The "Marsh" puddler pack had widgeons, gadwalls and green wing. I'm thinking 1 doz 'hot buy' mallards and one of those puddler packs, maybe two. Or shouldI just go with 1 doz mallards and some teal?
Old 09-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

gads and bald pates certainly won't hurt anything, but they aren't necessary to kill ducks.... I like using greenwing tealblocks because, for one thing,I like a bit of size variety, and I love it when teal buzz the decoys....

Most puddle ducks will decoy to mallards blocks fairly well.... heck puddlers will decoy to diver decoys pretty well, but the reverse isn't necessarily true...from what I've seen divers are more decoy critical than puddlers....
Old 09-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GordonGekko

gads and bald pates certainly won't hurt anything, but they aren't necessary to kill ducks.... I like using greenwing tealblocks because, for one thing,I like a bit of size variety, and I love it when teal buzz the decoys....

Most puddle ducks will decoy to mallards blocks fairly well.... heck puddlers will decoy to diver decoys pretty well, but the reverse isn't necessarily true...from what I've seen divers are more decoy critical than puddlers....
You know speaking of that, something I have found to hold true, especially in fairly big water and open rivers, is that if you mix duck and goose floaters (yes I know it isn't natural.... but it works and thats the point)... I've found that even mallards seem to prefer landing near the geese even over landing with their own kind.

I agree with you Gordon about divers being super picky. I've also found that pintails, when in larger groups) tend to be fairly picky as well. Same goes for black ducks. Wood ducks are extremely choosy too.... but even at that most of the time they will just buzz you once and be gone... kill them whenever they are in range because you often don't get a second chance.

Quick Reply: I know there are 100 different Decoy post, but....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.