Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Mossberg 930 Vs Benelli Supernova vs Remington 870?? >

Mossberg 930 Vs Benelli Supernova vs Remington 870??

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Mossberg 930 Vs Benelli Supernova vs Remington 870??

Old 09-23-2008, 11:15 AM

Default RE: Mossberg 930 Vs Benelli Supernova vs Remington 870??

For shooting the 3.5'' I love my 870 Sup Mag....I got it with the new Super Cell recoil pad, and it helps a lot. I can shoot all day without the usual dead shoulder when it is all said and done. Just my opinion although i have to admit that it is bias because i have not shot the other 2 on your list.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: holdingfast

Let me put this out there...

As a new waterfowl hunter I want a 12 gauge in the worst way. I am a skinny little lad and I already received my first "Hillbilly Hicky" from a run in with a 12 Gauge and 3.5" shells a few months back...

Either way, I am looking at these three pumps on the basis of my limited budget(prices are inCanadian pesos)for blowing stuff up. If you were to choose, which would you say is the best bang for the buck? I want to be able to keep one of these for a very long time and hopefully be able to introduce the future generations with my "first love". I would love some info, tips, or hints some of you might have to offer!

1.) Remington 870 Express Super Magum(hardwood)- Price $369.95 - I like this one because I hear it is rugged, reliable, and won't fail. I understand the rusting issue, but if you have seen my vehicles, rust is not an issue. I like this model because it gives me the optionof shooting 3.5" shells. Plus the price allows me to get other neat pwesents...

2.) Winchester Speed Pump (hardwood) - Price $379.95 - I know nothing about this gun besides the price. I don't like it too much because it is ugly.

3.) Browning BPS Hunter - Price $489.95 - I have a Browning A-Bolt Micro-Hunter in a .270 Short Mag and I love it. I am just kind of a fan of browning, but if I pay the extra $100, will I notice a difference in materials, craftsmanship, etc? If I read my article right, I understand theBrowning can handle 3.5" loads if I feel like taking a bruising after a stressful trip at the railroad. I also get $30 bones off if I buy it new.

PS - I am new to this forum. I am from a small town in Saskatchewan in Canada.
Out of those three, the 870 has been the most reliable in my experience...it is rugged and reliable as you say, but it can fail...take good care of it and it will last a good while though.....
Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks fellas.

I am still leaning to the Browning BPS after talking with a few guys at the local gun dealerships. It has a few features that I kind of like that the Remington doesn't. I am still really tossing and turning over this one - it just comes down to now which one fits best against my shoulder, right? But I will definitely be taking the advice on the forum into consideration before I hand out any cash. Thanks again!

PS - Tried to convince my with that if I got both of them she could come along - that idea was short-lived... Also the Browning comes with a $75 mail-in Rebate which makes it so much more appealing, but like I said, I have to shoulder them both to find out.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 PM

Aaaand just to add to a dying topic, I wound up buying the Browning BPS 12 Gauge with the 28" barrel. It is just way too pretty. So wish me luck fellas, "Wiener" is going to take me out on my first hunt come Saturday or Sunday whenever I get home from the railroad.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have two 870s but have been very dissapointed in the quality of the new ones. I currently use an 870 super mag for ducks and geese. Here is a quality comparison between my 1974 and 2003 870:

1, choke tube is plastic vs wood
2. trigger guardplastic
3. magazine plunber plastic

It really annoys me how manufacturers have cut corners to save money.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:58 PM

I shoot a Benelli super nova, I got it in Max 4, 28 inch barrell, I shoot alot of 31/2 BB's for geese and with the comfortech stock, feels like shooting a 410. The pump action is super fast so you won't skip a beet on any follow up shots. In my opinion there isn't another pump gun out there that I would trust out in the blind in any weather condition to just boom-splash, boom-splash, boom-splash. Thats why they say Benelli-simply perfect.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:11 PM

Buy the remington.You will have something to hand down to your grand kids.Take this for what its worth,at 48 yoa,I have been shooting Remingtons since I was 7 years old and I aint NEVER had to send one back or get one fixed.