Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Mossberg 930 Vs Benelli Supernova vs Remington 870?? >

Mossberg 930 Vs Benelli Supernova vs Remington 870??

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Mossberg 930 Vs Benelli Supernova vs Remington 870??

Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mossberg 930 Vs Benelli Supernova vs Remington 870??

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I wouldn't give you a wood nickle for a brand new 870. In the last several years, Remington's shotguns have taken a major nosedive. Used to be that an 870 was like an anvil. You couldn't hardly break one if you tried.... now a days, it seems that we are sending quite a few of them back to Remington for warranty work within their first three months with a new owner (to the tune of maybe 4 or 5 a month). 1187s have been a much more haneous offender, especially the super mags.

What are the issues you are seeing? I bought one last year, and have seen no issues.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought a new 870 super mag last week.
I also have a Mossberg 835 that works well.

when I went to the local store (wally world) I shouldered the 870 and the 930 and, the 870 fit me so much better, and I have not been to impressed with the larger back bored barrel on the Mossberg, so I bought the 870. The 870is now my primary gun, and I am thinking of getting rid of the 835.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pahntr760

What are the issues you are seeing? I bought one last year, and have seen no issues.
Keep in mind.... you have seen one.... we sell over 100 every month.

Most of the issues are part fitting problems.... trigger groups with bent shell carriers are the biggest problem. When the shell carrier is bent downward, or the trigger assembly is not installed correctly, then the shells in the mag tube will either not stay in the tube, or in opposite cases, they will catch on the lip of the carrier and bind the whole action up. Several of them are coming with vent ribs that are soldered onto barrels in a semi-helical fashion, usually 1/8" right but even as much as a 1/4" right at the receiver. I've seen several come from the factory with loose butt stocks, and quite a few come with rust on them already.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: pahntr760

Keep in mind.... you have seen one.... we sell over 100 every month.

Most of the issues are part fitting problems.... trigger groups with bent shell carriers are the biggest problem. When the shell carrier is bent downward, or the trigger assembly is not installed correctly, then the shells in the mag tube will either not stay in the tube, or in opposite cases, they will catch on the lip of the carrier and bind the whole action up. Several of them are coming with vent ribs that are soldered onto barrels in a semi-helical fashion, usually 1/8" right but even as much as a 1/4" right at the receiver. I've seen several come from the factory with loose butt stocks, and quite a few come with rust on them already.

I hear you on the rust, the matte finish is prone to rust. I rattle canned mine, problem solved.
As far feeding problems, none for me. The Rib is good on mine. Loose butt stock, huh? Thats weird. I guess some people are not giving too much in to theirjob on the assembly line.

Sounds likeI got lucky, again, besides the rust.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 PM

I ended up getting a browning BPS in mossy oak duck blind so everythings good!!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ox1443

I ended up getting a browning BPS in mossy oak duck blind so everythings good!!

Hard to say if a finer pump has ever been made than a BPS. Mighty fine choice!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:54 AM

Yah its pretty nice is has that Dura - Touch stock nad what ever so yah it is a fine shotgun

Old 09-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Spike

I would take the Nova in a heartbeat. Mine has hunted in icy rain in Arkansas to 95 degrees in South Florida and mud all over the place. Even after getting an auto I use it as my turkey gun. The remington would be my second choice.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

None of the above would be my choice....I guess if somebody told me I could only hunt with one of those I'd pick the Nova.... for most folks use they will probably all do fine, but if you are really hard on a gun I wouldn't depend on a newer 870 (the older wingmasters were fine guns though) or a Mossberg Auto....

the durability of a pump shotgun has taken a big hit over the last 20 years as they struggled to keep the cost low and depended more and more on stamped parts....if you want a fine pump gun get a Model 12.....
Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 AM

Let me put this out there...

As a new waterfowl hunter I want a 12 gauge in the worst way. I am a skinny little lad and I already received my first "Hillbilly Hicky" from a run in with a 12 Gauge and 3.5" shells a few months back...

Either way, I am looking at these three pumps on the basis of my limited budget(prices are inCanadian pesos)for blowing stuff up. If you were to choose, which would you say is the best bang for the buck? I want to be able to keep one of these for a very long time and hopefully be able to introduce the future generations with my "first love". I would love some info, tips, or hints some of you might have to offer!

1.) Remington 870 Express Super Magum(hardwood)- Price $369.95 - I like this one because I hear it is rugged, reliable, and won't fail. I understand the rusting issue, but if you have seen my vehicles, rust is not an issue. I like this model because it gives me the optionof shooting 3.5" shells. Plus the price allows me to get other neat pwesents...

2.) Winchester Speed Pump (hardwood) - Price $379.95 - I know nothing about this gun besides the price. I don't like it too much because it is ugly.

3.) Browning BPS Hunter - Price $489.95 - I have a Browning A-Bolt Micro-Hunter in a .270 Short Mag and I love it. I am just kind of a fan of browning, but if I pay the extra $100, will I notice a difference in materials, craftsmanship, etc? If I read my article right, I understand theBrowning can handle 3.5" loads if I feel like taking a bruising after a stressful trip at the railroad. I also get $30 bones off if I buy it new.

PS - I am new to this forum. I am from a small town in Saskatchewan in Canada.

Quick Reply: Mossberg 930 Vs Benelli Supernova vs Remington 870??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.