Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Swan Hunting

Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Swan Hunting

I am still fairly new to the whole waterfowl game. And this year I drew out for a swan permit. I was just wondering if anyone has some advice on downing these big ol critters.
IE; Shot size/ type (Hevi-Shot?), techniques. I would like to stay with the modified choke, maybe a Briley or something else. Any input is appreciated

Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Default RE: Swan Hunting

Iv never hunted them But I would think bbb or T shot and Id spend the money on hevi-shot probably the coyote one them birdsare huge.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

you would want a full choke, perhaps extra full
Old 09-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Do you think a .700 constriction would be good enough? I plan on B shot Hevi-Shot. It is said to be effective out pass 45 yds.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:57 PM

I don't remember how many yeaes we have had swan season but it has been quite a while. During the time it has been open I have drawn a tag or two almost every year and almost always have filled. I use T shot in steel or BBB in steel and have no problem killing them. You just have to remember to make sure they are in range. They have a much longer neck and much bigger than canada geese so they will look closer than they really are.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 AM

we cant shoot swans in the England because the ****ing queen wont let us lol but i wud recommend a 3 1/2 inch case with maybe BB's or BBB'S.

from kirk.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Spike

if you shoot a swan here, it will cost you 1000 bucks and your gun[:@]
Old 09-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

The next to the last swan I shot out here I shot with with an oz an eighth of 2s at about 60 yards in the snow.circa 1986. They will decoy nicely to snows. The last one was in 04 the federal gold 3 in oz an 1/4 BB worked well. You can shoot them head and neck but I think best to take out the wing they have this habit of locking their wings and sailing another 100 plus yards.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:29 PM

ive only seen swans in zoos lol..
Old 09-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed a couple over the years in VA and NC.

The choke and load you use depends entirely on how you are going to hunt them. By and large, they are about as stupid a bird as you'll find. If you are field hunting, you can land them almost in your lap. A few waterfowling friends of mine that routinely get them in their fields, are reloading hevi-shot in a .410 (yes a .410) to try and kill one this year. Keep in mind... their shots are about 10-15 yards.

If you are pass shooting, well then all bets are kinda off.

To put it in perspective, the four I have killed I've shot with steel T shot, two with 2 3/4" #6 hevi-shot (Remington) and one with 3" #4 Hevi-shot (Remington). I know guys that shoot them at bayonette range with #2s and guys who shoot them at rifle range with dead-coyote. All depends on how you want to do it. If you are thinking of getting one mounted... better bring your billfold!

Infact, this post reminds me... I need to apply for a permit again this year...

Quick Reply: Swan Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.