Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 suggestions for a new call >

suggestions for a new call

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

suggestions for a new call

Old 09-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Spike

Default suggestions for a new call

i bought a mallard call the other day from walmart and it just doesnt sound right. its the nag by primos. it has a sort of raspy sound that doesnt sound like a duck andactually does more harm than good. im thinking of taking it back and getting a quack head. any suggestions of whick quack head to get? they have like 3 different ones and then they have a wood call.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: suggestions for a new call

Hmm, the nag actually isn't a bad call. Primos makes some decent inexpensive calls. If you decide to get another Primos, try the Wench, P.H.A.T Lady, or Yo Sista'. All great calls for the money.

QuackHead is made by RNT, which are some of the best duck calls made. If you go with a QuackHead, try the J-Frame or Timber. They are Polycarb versions of the RNT Original and Timbre. My RNT Timbre is my go-to call, but my favorite "inexpensive" call is the Echo Timber. Echo is a great company run by great folks and they make great calls. All that to say, don't buy anything without considering an Echo.

As far as a call sounding like a duck, that part is up to you. I would concentrate more on getting the basic calls (the quacks, feeders, content calls, and so on) sounding right and getting the cadence down than I would on how the call sounds. Before you give up on your Nag, experiement with different ways of putting air into the call. For example, compare the different ways the call sounds when you blow the call holding it at the front of your mouth as compared to blowing it at the side of your mouth. Something as simple as changing the position of the call on your lips will change the way the call sounds.

Good luck with what you choose.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Spike

well. i messed with it for about an hour and had my friend who is really good at calling ducks try it and it sounded the same. i tried my other friends call and it sounded fine. tried messing with the reed and we still couldnt get it to sound right. i decided to get the quack head and i must say ,it sounds sooooo much better. i got the rainmaker call. i think its the same call as the timber, just a different name.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

After using Iverson duck calls for about 30 years, I was given a J.J. Lares duck call. It is very easy to blow and sounds great. It's the main mallard call I've used for about the last five or six years.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM

if you are just starting out on a duck call, save your money and get a haydels dr85. inexpensive and as ducky as they get. not pretty by any stretch of the imagination but will make anyone sound like a duck with just a little know how. once you get good with that i would hit the echo timbers. of course this is my opinoin and what works for me, but i would definately hit the store and check out the haydels.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Spike

Take a look at the BuckGardner stuff. Great calls at a reasonable price.
www.buckgardner.com