Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

floods and flyways

Old 08-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default floods and flyways

Do you guys think the flooding in Iowa this year will affect the path of this year'smigration?

I have not heard a lot of discussion on this topic up this point. If the flooding in Iowa caused enough crop damage to where the food source is severly diminished at that early point in the MS Flyway, will some ducks be pushed to the Central Flyway? If so, do you think it will have a significant impact on the numbers of ducks we get this in in the MS Flyway?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: floods and flyways

Not in the least bit. Trust me, there will still be plenty of food for the ducks. There are so many safe havens now up and down the Miss. flyway, the ducks don't want to move. Hell, I hope there is nothing for them to eat up north. That way they can come on down south and stay a while. I'll feed them a mouth full of steel. Duck hunting just isn't what it used to be.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Spike

Living in the heart of the flood damage, I still believe there will be plenty of ducks around. For that matter there are a number of ducks in the area. The flood happened earlyenough that some fortunate farmers got a late bean crop in. Bottom line is you wont see a noticeable difference in ducks.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Allright. I was just wondering. Last year we had trouble with rain. No rain till February and it didn't stop till mid April, which also ruined turkey season in the river bottoms. I'd love the ducks to hang out in Tennessee a while this year.