Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

identifying tips

Old 08-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Spike

Default identifying tips

this will be my first year duck hunting and i was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me get better at identifying birds
Old 08-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: identifying tips

well, i learned from watching them my whole life, but for a beginer i suggest going somplace where you can watch many ducks fly, look at the different sizes, shapes, and wing-beats of the birds, look for colors and other distinguishing features(the pin-tail on a pintail, green-head on a drake mallard) learn to tell ranges as well, for identifying how far away a bird is is one of the toughest parts of duck hunting
Old 08-26-2008, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a few books on duck Identification, I have two that I keep with me, one is ducks at a distance and the other has to do with identifying them by there beeks. After one season for me I am getting better, malards and woods drake and hen I am not bad at, I am still learning the others. It takes a lot to see the bird after all the trying to get them to come in.... you learn to look at them...
Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnteen

well, i learned from watching them my whole life, but for a beginer i suggest going somplace where you can watch many ducks fly, look at the different sizes, shapes, and wing-beats of the birds, look for colors and other distinguishing features(the pin-tail on a pintail, green-head on a drake mallard) learn to tell ranges as well, for identifying how far away a bird is is one of the toughest parts of duck hunting
this is some good advise, going out and actually attempting to identify the real thing is the best way to go. but it still takes some time, well it has for me and I still wouldnt say that Im great at it by any means
Old 08-28-2008, 06:32 PM

takes years to get it down stat but even now I still cant tell a few just go out and watch some birds you gotta be out their to identify and have fun with it....
Old 08-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was a new hunter I used the Audobon method.

It takes years of practice. Heck I've been at it almost 20 and I'll still mistake a merganser for a wood duck in dawns early light. Been more than once a mallard I shot turned into a black duck.... the first wigeon I ever saw (which I killed) I shot for a pintail (also easy to do for a new hunter).

Fortunately, I've never gotten into trouble over miss IDing a bird.... though there was one time that I could have.

The key is to take your time, let the birds get good and close. If they are at a shootable range, you'll know what they are pretty quick. DU has a field guide with the waterfowl of North America I used to keep handy.