Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 How many birds have you taken with bands? >

How many birds have you taken with bands?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How many birds have you taken with bands?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many birds have you taken with bands?

I've shot a banded woodie with a $100 dollar reward band, and a Canadian from Nunavut. Those were confirmed kills... Possibly one other that was claimed by someone else [&:] But oh well! We also live in a location were alot of birds are banded locally.
Gerard
Old 08-29-2008, 04:25 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I have killed 5 banded geese but they were all resident geese too. We used to have an early goose season that allowed you 3 birds. I killed 3 one morning and they were all banded. Went back then next day and killed 3 more, 2 of them banded.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DTC

I have killed 5 banded geese but they were all resident geese too. We used to have an early goose season that allowed you 3 birds. I killed 3 one morning and they were all banded. Went back then next day and killed 3 more, 2 of them banded.
I hear you there! The first two geese I ever killed (two shots out of the same flock... which is very memorable shooting... a testament to my often ineffective fire ) were banded. One local and one from three states away... flying side by side.

Our resident bird limit just went up to ten birds per person per day. We have a spot we can hunt that apparently has a whole big pile of geese that have all been banded at least once. Apparently they are coming from the wal-mart pond or something like that.... if they are easy to catch, biologists will catch them.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I missed one, that the guy next to me killed[:'(]

I have none, here's some of my Dad's. There's a lot more that are on mounts, and neck collars that don't go on the lanyard

are those pheasant spurs??? How did ya do that?? That is awesome!!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look like turkey spurs to me....as far as how to do it you cut through the leg below and above the spur with a hacksaw, coping saw or any other fine tooth saw...you then take a nail and push the soft tissue out, it comes out like a noodle..then I pack mine with borax and let dry for a couple weeks...brush off borax and you are all set...
Old 08-30-2008, 06:07 PM

For me:
21 geese 60% locals within 90miles
farthest Ontario

17 Ducks (1) Jack Miner my proudest! 2 from Smilley Sask.
1 Sea Gull found dead by the dog, came from Minn.
7 Woodducks killed at local F&W Area
Old 08-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

are those pheasant spurs??? How did ya do that?? That is awesome!!
Nope, like Carpmaster said, they're turkey spurs.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 PM

I have shot 1 goose, 1 teal, and 6 black ducks 1 was $100 reward.

When I shot the $100 my buddy also got one. There were 3 blacks coming in I shot the first my friend hit the second and I swung around and caught the third, all three were dead as a knit. When the dog brought my buddies in we noticed the bright green band with the regular band on the other leg.Then we noticed one of my ducks had two bands but there wasn't any green on one of them until we looked closer and seen a couple green flecks of paint and then we noticed the $100 reward writing on it. The third bird in the flock didn't have anything on it.When he went to collect his reward the band hadn't even been registered yet and mine was ready to expire in 2 years. What are the odds of that happening?2 out of 3 birds having $100 rewards The funniest thing was after we punched our limit and were packed up and walking back to the truck we remembered a cripple we couldn't recover and thought hey what if the cripple had another green band? The tide was too high to cross the river and it was too far for the dog to retrieve so I guess we'll never know.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

I've been waterfowl hunting for 4 years with no bands. Yesterday one of the guys in our group dropped a goose with a band. It was his first band and he's been hunting since 1980. Looks like I may be waiting awhile.

I think shooting a bird with a band is really neet and an added bonus but wouldn't compare it to shooting a trophy buck. Unless youcompare it to adumb luck trophy buck take. [8D]That would be fare.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

we shot 5 geese out of 7 with bands in the earlyNY goose season in the last 2 days

the first day it was one for 2,

yesterday 4 out of 5 had bands, so we were so elated that we didn;t notice to dispatch of the cripple which my cousin picked up. after a minute the bird started to walk, then run, i told him to shoot it started flying and flew away.. we ended up with 4 birds of which 3 had bands

Quick Reply: How many birds have you taken with bands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.