Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 How many birds have you taken with bands? >

How many birds have you taken with bands?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How many birds have you taken with bands?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Spike

Default RE: How many birds have you taken with bands?

i have never even taken a duck. this will be my first year
Old 08-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: johnch
IMO it is more about where you hunt and luck than skill
As I hunt in a area that they band local birds

But if the geese are gliding in
I look for neck and leg bands

John
Amen...location is key. And luck...If i remember correctly the odds of killing a banded Mallard were around 1 in 300...I think it is greater for snow geese...based on those numbers I'm due a few bands this year...we'll see though.... but those statistics only tell part of the story, as I believe ducks tend to follow similar routes from year to year making band success greater in certain areas than others (since birds from a banding site may migrate together)...nothing scientific though....

then again some folks (I know a couple) could get a band walkin' through Wal-Mart....
Old 08-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

1 in 300, I dont think I have enough time or money for shells...... my shooting sucks.....
Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 AM

Ive got 3 one goose and 2 mallards none of them had any history though just young birds I shot within 20 or 30 miles of where they were banded. but still alot better than shooting a trophey buck just my opinion.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

got 2. A balck duck from alberta and a canadian that was banded 20 miles from where i shot it
Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have never shot a banded duck.

Been duck hunting for years, still no bands. I almost had one last year. My cousin and I were the only two guys in the blind one slow morning. A lone mallard drake buzzed our decoys and we both popped up to shoot. I never pulled the trigger cause my cousin got him on the first shot. He retrieved the duck and noticed it was banded. He's older and didn't have his glasses, so he brought it to me to read where it was tagged. I looked at the tag and read, "Jack Miner Foundation - I Walk Among You Lev. 26:12." I nearly fainted. I have never felt excitement and grief so equally blended.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crowkilla

I have never shot a banded duck.

Been duck hunting for years, still no bands. I almost had one last year. My cousin and I were the only two guys in the blind one slow morning. A lone mallard drake buzzed our decoys and we both popped up to shoot. I never pulled the trigger cause my cousin got him on the first shot. He retrieved the duck and noticed it was banded. He's older and didn't have his glasses, so he brought it to me to read where it was tagged. I looked at the tag and read, "Jack Miner Foundation - I Walk Among You Lev. 26:12." I nearly fainted. I have never felt excitement and grief so equally blended.
One thing, it's not going to have where it was tagged on the band. You'll have to call it in and give the band number. They will send you a certificate showing the approximate age and where it was banded, but I'm sure you already know this. Secondly, that Jack Miner band is a real prize. I can understand your excitement and grief.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 PM

you dont have to call in a miner band to see where its from... its only banded in one place, kingsville ontario in the pond behind the sanctuary. Miner bands have all the info on it, the year it was banded, and then a bonus bible verus. Was it an 07 band? If so i possibly helped but that band on since i helped alot last year. I shot 2 07's and one 2004 (100th year anniversary all on one day last season.)
Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got three geese (one collar) and a bunch of ducks. Most of those ducks are either SCWA bands or plantation bands (release birds). I think just about every single mallard I shot when I lived in SC had a band on it. Ironically I shot a hen up here in VA that was a release bird from the SCWA (I felt like I had a magnet in my pocket for SC mallards). I think I have 7 or 8 true blue fed duck bands now. One was 11 years old, and the bird was at least 12 years old according to the cert. That was the day before Christmas of 2003.

I haven't shot a banded bird in the last two seasons, so like Gordon I think I'm about due again. I know of a field where dang near every goose in it has a leg iron.... still working on getting rights.... might have to bow hunt them... which would make it more like band shopping rather than true hunting. Be kinda cool though.

We shoot a lot of black ducks, which statisically I think is your best bet for shooting a banded duck. Big big studies continually happening on blacks.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:34 PM

I live in an area that bands both ducks and geese so they are very common up here but it is STILL about luck. I have 5, I have a friend with 3 lanyards full, and my best huntin buddy who has hunted N-IA for 30 seasons has just a handfull. he did get 2 goose bands with one shot...but thats a story for another day.

Quick Reply: How many birds have you taken with bands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.