HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Teal Hunting... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/258673-teal-hunting.html)

StraighttothePoint 08-19-2008 04:42 PM

Teal Hunting...

First off I'm new to the forum here at huntingnet. I live for the outdoors and enjoy hunting just about anything I can. I mostly bowhunt for whitetail and do alot of upland hunting as well. However, I would like to get out there and do some teal hunting this year. Looking for any advice I can get. What call would be good for a beginner? What decoys? How many? Is it hard to identify a teal when they are flying in? Is it legal to take both hens and drakes? Would be interested in any and all advice I can pick up. Thanks

SwampCollie 08-19-2008 05:36 PM

RE: Teal Hunting...

I'll get to the point myself.. I'm assuming that you are hunting teal in the early September season.

ORIGINAL: StraighttothePoint

First off I'm new to the forum here at huntingnet.
Welcome. :D

What call would be good for a beginner?
None at all. Maybe a 6 in 1 whistle... but honestly for teal you don't exactly NEED one.

What decoys?
I have teal decoys. They were a gift. I personally wouldn't spend my money on them. You can use hen mallard decoys. Please note I said HEN mallard... in the early season, most of the birds are still in eclipse plumage, and are almost all brown.

How many?
I use about 6 to 12 myself

Is it hard to identify a teal when they are flying in?
For a new duck hunter yes. At least it will be if you have a high occurance of wood ducks in the area. Its easy in my eyes, but I've been doing this for over 20 years.

Is it legal to take both hens and drakes?
Yes. In fact during the early season unless you have good light behind you its damn near impossible to tell the difference until they are in hand.

Best advice I can give is keep the wind at your back, keep a sharp eye on your watch and when its legal time carry at port arms with your finger on the safety because if its going to happen its going to happen like an F-18 on a low level bombing run.

Rory/MO 08-19-2008 05:46 PM

Couldn't have said it better Swamp, you should listen to what he says:)

Oh ya, welcome:D

BigOrangeBowHntr 08-19-2008 06:16 PM

Great advice from Swamp Collie Teal are really hard to cut your teeth your duck hunting they fly early and fast. But get out there and give it a try you may be surprised how much fun it is.

wdog1 08-19-2008 06:46 PM

there like fighter jets get ready.

SwampCollie 08-19-2008 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: BigOrangeBowHntr

Great advice from Swamp Collie Teal are really hard to cut your teeth your duck hunting they fly early and fast. But get out there and give it a try you may be surprised how much fun it is.
They are certainly high ranking on the table fare scale too. Flat out delicious!

kelleno 08-22-2008 09:00 PM

keep your gun in your hands and be ready