HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   getting started (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/256917-getting-started.html)

jstep89 08-09-2008 10:46 PM

getting started

hi im new to this forum and new to hunting. this will be my first year duck/goose hunting. soon i am going to be purchasing abenelli nova pump in camo. im debating on what ammo to use though. i thought of the kent fasteel but since im a new shooter, i dont want to waste the expensive ammo before i become a better shooter. any suggestions on what to use?

wdog1 08-10-2008 12:54 AM

RE: getting started

this is what you do save the 400 dollars buy an 870 and shoot fast steel best stuff out there....p

jstep89 08-10-2008 01:36 PM

well i thought of the 870 but i really like being able to shoot a 3 1/2". how much is the 870? i can get the nova in camo for $419 locally. also does the 870 come with the different chokes like the nova?

dukbuster 08-10-2008 02:09 PM

Get the 870 supermag in black synthetinc (i have killed turkeys at less than five yards with that gun, the camo doesnt matter) then you will be able to shoot 3 1/2's tho you will never really need to for waterfowl unless your going to be pass shooting. If you watch your local gander mountain adds you should be able to find one for around 300 with not much trouble(i got mine new for 289). They dont come with multiple chokes(come with a modified that can shoot both steel and lead) but a modified id the only choke i have ever used for waterfowl(dont want too tight of a patttern) and i have killed my fair share of both ducks and geese.

A Nova for 419 is most likely used too, and you never can tell what your getting in a used gun.

One more thing, ask how many benelli guys would drop there gun in the water in mid december, let the water freeze, and then pull the trigger and have to go go BANG.Mine and wdog's(my hunting partner) 870's have been through hell and back more than once, and that guns still fires just as good as it did the day i bought it.

Hope this helps your decision.

BTW, where are you from?

jstep89 08-10-2008 04:18 PM

the nova for 419 is brand new from the gun store and in camo with ic, mod., and full chokes. only 870 supermags i found aroundhere were like 500 but thats the camo version and it came with a turkey choke. i know my friend has the nova and its been through hell as well and it works like a dream. the whole reason why i considered the nova was because i shot his and liked it so much. im from red bluff, ca. its pretty far noth in ca, about 2 hours north of sacramento. so what amo would you guys recommend?

dukbuster 08-10-2008 07:55 PM

Well i have never shot the nova or any benelli, but if i could choose any waterfowl gun i would pick the 870 in a heartbeat if for no other reason than the reliability of that gun, i have never had it not go off when i pulled the trigger. Not to mention the simplicity of the action of the gun.

i would go with the fasteel, its not very expensive when u buy in bulk, and it packs a heck of a punch.

any more questions feel free to ask

jstep89 08-10-2008 08:22 PM

ok what size shot? my friend bought 3.5" bb's and 3" 2's. i was thinking the 3" 2's and maybe get a box of the 3.5" bb's for the high geese

dukbuster 08-10-2008 09:37 PM

biggest you should need are 3" bb's (i would just get a case from kent) if you think you need 3.5's to hit a high goose, its most likely too far ( i have made that mistake more than once) not to mention 3.5's are extremely expensive

jstep89 08-10-2008 10:49 PM

well, on cabelas website the kent 3" 2's are only 129.99/case. would they have enough power to kill geese as well? what about the 2 3/4 2's

dukbuster 08-10-2008 11:12 PM

Can 2's kill a goose? Of course they can, but bb's can do it a hell of alot better and can do it more often with alot less cripples. also, if you want to save some money on shells, try rogerssportinggoods.com .... they have great deals on everything on the site.

I have killed geese with 4 shot before, but come later in the year, when your into the migrators rather than the residents that are around in september and early november, you will need bigger pellets to get throgh all of the feathers, and bb's really arent that much more expensive, 1 dollar per box more at the absolute maximum.

jstep89 08-10-2008 11:15 PM

well its not reallt the price difference, i just want something that will be good for both ducks and geese. are bb's too big for ducks? i dont think i will be seeing as much geese as duck where im going to be hunting but i still want to be prepared. should i get the 3" 2's for the ducks and then get a couple boxes of bb's for geese?

dukbuster 08-10-2008 11:22 PM

Yea, that should work ok, and if your willing to carry two different types of shells into the blind, i would shoot 3" 4's for ducks, and then 3" bb's for geese. thats probably your best bet

wdog1 08-10-2008 11:38 PM

I shoot 3" 3's for ducks and 3" bb's for geese dont buy a case get a couple boxes of different things and see what you like and then get a case its the way to go really.....if you have to do some pass shooting just buy a box of hevi shot or two its expensive but will bring em down.....and have fun with it.

jstep89 08-12-2008 12:24 AM

i think i might just buy a case of the 3" 2's. when looking at the different shells, it says the amount of shot used (1 1/16, 1 1/8, etc)but i dont really know whats good. can someone shed some light on this for me?

dukbuster 08-12-2008 01:54 AM

i would go with what wdog said, buy a few boxes of ech, and try to get the 1 1/8 oz.... buy a few boxes of duck loads(3's or 4's) and a few boxes of goose loads(bb's)...that way you will have the best shot size for each

AR 34 eight point 08-12-2008 11:58 PM

The less shot wheight, the faster it will fly. The faster the shot flies the less pellets that are out there. that is the (1 1/16, 1 1/8, etc) stuff in short....

jstep89 08-13-2008 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: AR 34 eight point

The less shot wheight, the faster it will fly. The faster the shot flies the less pellets that are out there. that is the (1 1/16, 1 1/8, etc) stuff in short....
so which is better, to have more speed or more pellets?

tbrunson 08-13-2008 03:28 PM

Just started waterfowling last year, but have been shooting for more than a few. There's more than one thread on Nova vs. 870. Both are good bangs for the buck, think it comes down to what feels better. I have a Nova. When I was undecided between these two I picked both up, shouldered and that was it. Both are dependable.... good luck.

SwampCollie 08-14-2008 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: jstep89

ORIGINAL: AR 34 eight point

so which is better, to have more speed or more pellets?
That fight has been going on forever. Mostly it depends on if you can shoot worth a lick or not. If you tend to shoot ducks and geese too far back, then you'll probably go on singing about how having more pellets will result in more kills... same if you shoot at ranges beyond 40 yards.

Truth is, if I was stuck with only being able to shoot one load the rest of my life for ducks and geese, it would be 1 1/16oz of steel #2s. Just keep your shots inside 40 yards. Waterfowling is about decoying birds, not blasting them as they skirt your spread.

The last thing you need as a new hunter/waterfowler is a 3.5" shell or even a 3.5" gun. You will get nothing more out of one than less money and a bruised shoulder. Feel free to go with a Nova if it fits you well, but remember that you don't have to feed it roman candles to kill a duck over decoys. Don't buy into the hype that you need a 3.5" shell for anything... its mostly just a remedy for poor shooting and low self-esteem. :D

dustinfeathers 08-22-2008 05:11 PM

AMENswamp collie I could have not shared that thinking any better myself. Good calling and patience will put more birds in your boat than any 3 1/2 gun will.Andshootingat ducks or geese that have better things to do then hang out with your decoys dont make sense either.Buy a case of 3" 2's and have a good time you need nothing bigger.

Carpmaster 08-22-2008 05:48 PM

well i thought of the 870 but i really like being able to shoot a 3 1/2". how much is the 870? i can get the nova in camo for $419 locally. also does the 870 come with the different chokes like the nova?
Hey genious they are about the same price....

Carpmaster 08-22-2008 05:51 PM

jstep my nova likes the federal Ultrashok and the speed shok.....I use #2,1, and BB for tight decoying geese,BB, BBB and T for spooky geese, and #2 and 3 speed shok in that gun for all ducks...

kelleno 08-22-2008 08:58 PM

One thing...DO NOT WORRY ABOUT SHOOTING 3 1/2 INCH SHELLS. they just leave a bigger bruise on your shoulder. The Kent fasteel is the best stuff out there

GordonGekko 08-22-2008 11:13 PM

although I shoot 3.5's I will tell you, from a pump shotgun do not worry about it...shoot the 3" loads.... I believe the 3.5's do offer some advantage, but that is only if you can bear the recoil, and from a pump gun it is simply too much abuse for the benefit.... in a smooth shooting auto it isn't so bad, but a fixed breech gun (pump, O/U, etc) no way....

number 2's or 3's should be fine for most of your hunting...and get a little practiceshooting claysand you'll find you don't shoot nearly as much as the average guy....

jstep89 09-08-2008 11:17 PM

well i emailed the place that i plan on buying my gun from about the price of an 870. i have heard nothing but good about them and if i cand find it for around 300, i will get one. ill take your guys wordabout not needing a3.5" shell. does the camo make any difference to the ducks and geese or is it just a little extra protection to the finish of the gun?

kwacksmacker 09-09-2008 06:35 AM

i shoot the winchester high velocity stuff. yeah there is better stuff out there but i like the ducks with feet down. it is funner and saves me a few bucks per box.:)

matthepanther 09-10-2008 08:56 PM

the 870 is a great gun, but personally i would go for the benelli. as the owner of both and a super black eagle and an 11-87, i like the nova as much as my eagle. its got better pointability and ergonomics as the 870, and i doubt benelli's 1 pc. reciever and stock is going to fail on you. both great guns, but everyone and their neighbor has an 870. I say go for something diffrent and get the nova, i love the thing!

o ya fasteel is the bomb dude

Chris_H 09-17-2008 09:05 AM

hi im new to this forum and new to hunting. this will be my first year duck/goose hunting. soon i am going to be purchasing abenelli nova pump in camo. im debating on what ammo to use though. i thought of the kent fasteel but since im a new shooter, i dont want to waste the expensive ammo before i become a better shooter. any suggestions on what to use?
Jstep... faststeels cost from like $12-18 a box. Winchesters cost $15, and the federals cost around $18 (in my neck of the woods). Right now it just depends on you're experiences with the shells. Buy different boxes of shells every time you go to get more, and you'll find out which ones suit which situation the best.

As for the gun, I personally like the 870. I've never had one fail, jam, or rust :DAlthough i baby my guns when it comes to keeping them in good condition. I just like the way that the 870 feels. But, i think that the action is alot smoother on the benelli nova pump. The 870 3.5" is probably gonna cost around $350.00. The benelli 3.5 is gonna costa lil more. Just research both so you can make a good choice.

*BTW, about your camo question, the answer is no. No you don't need a camoed gun to duck hunt. People have been hunting with blued barrels and oak stocks for a very long time. I have an 11-87 black/synthetic. And can kill just as many ducks as if it was camo. That being said, I want to get mine camoed out just because it looks cool, probably doesn't rust as much, and i have money to spend.

bcvd45 09-17-2008 10:26 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: kelleno

One thing...DO NOT WORRY ABOUT SHOOTING 3 1/2 INCH SHELLS. they just leave a bigger bruise on your shoulder.

Actually if you go with the 870 super mag....its not so bad if you get the new remington super cell recoil pad. That thing is a life saver. It came already on mine when i bought it.

bcvd45 09-17-2008 10:29 AM

The 3.5" is more for turkey hunting anyway. It does help a lot there.

kwacksmacker 09-18-2008 01:28 PM

get a shotgun that fits you, then go get some of the winchester cheap stuff. don't matter what you shoot if their feet are getting ready to get wet before you touch the trigger.

jstep89 09-22-2008 01:20 PM

well, today i went over to big 5 with the intention of buying the 870 with wood stocks for $329.99. i really wanted black synthetic but they didnt have it last time i checked. when i got there they had two wood stocks for $329.99and one black stock for $349.99. turns out the black one was a supermag and even the salesman didnt realize it. i didnt notice it until i shouldered it and saw "supermag 3 1/2" on the side. needless to say i bought the supermag for only $20 more. is that a good deal?

wdog1 09-22-2008 01:29 PM

wouldnt call it a deal thats the price range.........somtimes their in gander mtn for like 299...........but none the less you will love that gun my man you wont regret buying it.

saltfisher 09-22-2008 01:34 PM

I just sold a benelli nova for $250 in perfect condition. Get one used, and look it over before you buy one. They are out there.

jstep89 09-22-2008 01:55 PM

ORIGINAL: wdog1

wouldnt call it a deal thats the price range.........somtimes their in gander mtn for like 299...........but none the less you will love that gun my man you wont regret buying it.
i was kinda suprised to see it since every else ive checked around here sells it for $500+

wdog1 09-22-2008 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: wdog1

i was kinda suprised to see it since every else ive checked around here sells it for $500+

really??? where you been looking ? were talking 870 supermag synthetic right?

jstep89 09-22-2008 02:49 PM

yeah. the only thing i could think of why it was so expesive is because it was the camo but im not sure if it was.

wdog1 09-22-2008 06:28 PM

yeah. the only thing i could think of why it was so expesive is because it was the camo but im not sure if it was.
Its alright you got urs for a good price and you will love the gun.

jstep89 09-22-2008 11:40 PM

forgot to mention that the gun also came with a $30 mail in rebate

jstep89 12-01-2008 07:44 PM

forgot to update you guys on my opinion of this gun. i hate it. i should have just saved my money. its nothing but a piece of junk

just kidding lol. i love it. i am extremely pleased with this gun. i havent done a lot of hunting with it yetsince we havent had any rain but i went clay shooting a few times and i hit like90% of the shots i take. i also like the overall construction of the gun. it feels nice and solid in my hands. the only thing i dont care for is that the grooves on the vent rib can be rough on your hands. i usually wear gloves and i want to get a sling so i wont notice it anyway.