Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

getting started

Old 08-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: getting started

ORIGINAL: jstep89

well i thought of the 870 but i really like being able to shoot a 3 1/2". how much is the 870? i can get the nova in camo for $419 locally. also does the 870 come with the different chokes like the nova?
Hey genious they are about the same price....
Old 08-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

jstep my nova likes the federal Ultrashok and the speed shok.....I use #2,1, and BB for tight decoying geese,BB, BBB and T for spooky geese, and #2 and 3 speed shok in that gun for all ducks...
Old 08-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

One thing...DO NOT WORRY ABOUT SHOOTING 3 1/2 INCH SHELLS. they just leave a bigger bruise on your shoulder. The Kent fasteel is the best stuff out there
Old 08-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

although I shoot 3.5's I will tell you, from a pump shotgun do not worry about it...shoot the 3" loads.... I believe the 3.5's do offer some advantage, but that is only if you can bear the recoil, and from a pump gun it is simply too much abuse for the benefit.... in a smooth shooting auto it isn't so bad, but a fixed breech gun (pump, O/U, etc) no way....

number 2's or 3's should be fine for most of your hunting...and get a little practiceshooting claysand you'll find you don't shoot nearly as much as the average guy....

Old 09-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Spike

well i emailed the place that i plan on buying my gun from about the price of an 870. i have heard nothing but good about them and if i cand find it for around 300, i will get one. ill take your guys wordabout not needing a3.5" shell. does the camo make any difference to the ducks and geese or is it just a little extra protection to the finish of the gun?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:35 AM

i shoot the winchester high velocity stuff. yeah there is better stuff out there but i like the ducks with feet down. it is funner and saves me a few bucks per box.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 PM

the 870 is a great gun, but personally i would go for the benelli. as the owner of both and a super black eagle and an 11-87, i like the nova as much as my eagle. its got better pointability and ergonomics as the 870, and i doubt benelli's 1 pc. reciever and stock is going to fail on you. both great guns, but everyone and their neighbor has an 870. I say go for something diffrent and get the nova, i love the thing!

o ya fasteel is the bomb dude
Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jstep89

hi im new to this forum and new to hunting. this will be my first year duck/goose hunting. soon i am going to be purchasing abenelli nova pump in camo. im debating on what ammo to use though. i thought of the kent fasteel but since im a new shooter, i dont want to waste the expensive ammo before i become a better shooter. any suggestions on what to use?
Jstep... faststeels cost from like $12-18 a box. Winchesters cost $15, and the federals cost around $18 (in my neck of the woods). Right now it just depends on you're experiences with the shells. Buy different boxes of shells every time you go to get more, and you'll find out which ones suit which situation the best.

As for the gun, I personally like the 870. I've never had one fail, jam, or rust Although i baby my guns when it comes to keeping them in good condition. I just like the way that the 870 feels. But, i think that the action is alot smoother on the benelli nova pump. The 870 3.5" is probably gonna cost around $350.00. The benelli 3.5 is gonna costa lil more. Just research both so you can make a good choice.

*BTW, about your camo question, the answer is no. No you don't need a camoed gun to duck hunt. People have been hunting with blued barrels and oak stocks for a very long time. I have an 11-87 black/synthetic. And can kill just as many ducks as if it was camo. That being said, I want to get mine camoed out just because it looks cool, probably doesn't rust as much, and i have money to spend.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: kelleno

One thing...DO NOT WORRY ABOUT SHOOTING 3 1/2 INCH SHELLS. they just leave a bigger bruise on your shoulder.

Actually if you go with the 870 super mag....its not so bad if you get the new remington super cell recoil pad. That thing is a life saver. It came already on mine when i bought it.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 AM

The 3.5" is more for turkey hunting anyway. It does help a lot there.

Quick Reply: getting started

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.