Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

getting started

Old 08-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Spike

Default RE: getting started

well its not reallt the price difference, i just want something that will be good for both ducks and geese. are bb's too big for ducks? i dont think i will be seeing as much geese as duck where im going to be hunting but i still want to be prepared. should i get the 3" 2's for the ducks and then get a couple boxes of bb's for geese?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:22 PM

Yea, that should work ok, and if your willing to carry two different types of shells into the blind, i would shoot 3" 4's for ducks, and then 3" bb's for geese. thats probably your best bet
Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 PM

I shoot 3" 3's for ducks and 3" bb's for geese dont buy a case get a couple boxes of different things and see what you like and then get a case its the way to go really.....if you have to do some pass shooting just buy a box of hevi shot or two its expensive but will bring em down.....and have fun with it.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Spike

i think i might just buy a case of the 3" 2's. when looking at the different shells, it says the amount of shot used (1 1/16, 1 1/8, etc)but i dont really know whats good. can someone shed some light on this for me?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:54 AM

i would go with what wdog said, buy a few boxes of ech, and try to get the 1 1/8 oz.... buy a few boxes of duck loads(3's or 4's) and a few boxes of goose loads(bb's)...that way you will have the best shot size for each
Old 08-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The less shot wheight, the faster it will fly. The faster the shot flies the less pellets that are out there. that is the (1 1/16, 1 1/8, etc) stuff in short....
Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: AR 34 eight point

The less shot wheight, the faster it will fly. The faster the shot flies the less pellets that are out there. that is the (1 1/16, 1 1/8, etc) stuff in short....
so which is better, to have more speed or more pellets?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 PM

Just started waterfowling last year, but have been shooting for more than a few. There's more than one thread on Nova vs. 870. Both are good bangs for the buck, think it comes down to what feels better. I have a Nova. When I was undecided between these two I picked both up, shouldered and that was it. Both are dependable.... good luck.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jstep89

ORIGINAL: AR 34 eight point

so which is better, to have more speed or more pellets?
That fight has been going on forever. Mostly it depends on if you can shoot worth a lick or not. If you tend to shoot ducks and geese too far back, then you'll probably go on singing about how having more pellets will result in more kills... same if you shoot at ranges beyond 40 yards.

Truth is, if I was stuck with only being able to shoot one load the rest of my life for ducks and geese, it would be 1 1/16oz of steel #2s. Just keep your shots inside 40 yards. Waterfowling is about decoying birds, not blasting them as they skirt your spread.

The last thing you need as a new hunter/waterfowler is a 3.5" shell or even a 3.5" gun. You will get nothing more out of one than less money and a bruised shoulder. Feel free to go with a Nova if it fits you well, but remember that you don't have to feed it roman candles to kill a duck over decoys. Don't buy into the hype that you need a 3.5" shell for anything... its mostly just a remedy for poor shooting and low self-esteem.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:11 PM

AMENswamp collie I could have not shared that thinking any better myself. Good calling and patience will put more birds in your boat than any 3 1/2 gun will.Andshootingat ducks or geese that have better things to do then hang out with your decoys dont make sense either.Buy a case of 3" 2's and have a good time you need nothing bigger.

Quick Reply: getting started

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.