Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

getting started

Old 08-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Spike

Default getting started

hi im new to this forum and new to hunting. this will be my first year duck/goose hunting. soon i am going to be purchasing abenelli nova pump in camo. im debating on what ammo to use though. i thought of the kent fasteel but since im a new shooter, i dont want to waste the expensive ammo before i become a better shooter. any suggestions on what to use?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:54 AM

Default RE: getting started

this is what you do save the 400 dollars buy an 870 and shoot fast steel best stuff out there....p
Old 08-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Spike

well i thought of the 870 but i really like being able to shoot a 3 1/2". how much is the 870? i can get the nova in camo for $419 locally. also does the 870 come with the different chokes like the nova?
Old 08-10-2008, 02:09 PM

Get the 870 supermag in black synthetinc (i have killed turkeys at less than five yards with that gun, the camo doesnt matter) then you will be able to shoot 3 1/2's tho you will never really need to for waterfowl unless your going to be pass shooting. If you watch your local gander mountain adds you should be able to find one for around 300 with not much trouble(i got mine new for 289). They dont come with multiple chokes(come with a modified that can shoot both steel and lead) but a modified id the only choke i have ever used for waterfowl(dont want too tight of a patttern) and i have killed my fair share of both ducks and geese.

A Nova for 419 is most likely used too, and you never can tell what your getting in a used gun.

One more thing, ask how many benelli guys would drop there gun in the water in mid december, let the water freeze, and then pull the trigger and have to go go BANG.Mine and wdog's(my hunting partner) 870's have been through hell and back more than once, and that guns still fires just as good as it did the day i bought it.

Hope this helps your decision.

BTW, where are you from?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Spike

the nova for 419 is brand new from the gun store and in camo with ic, mod., and full chokes. only 870 supermags i found aroundhere were like 500 but thats the camo version and it came with a turkey choke. i know my friend has the nova and its been through hell as well and it works like a dream. the whole reason why i considered the nova was because i shot his and liked it so much. im from red bluff, ca. its pretty far noth in ca, about 2 hours north of sacramento. so what amo would you guys recommend?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:55 PM

Well i have never shot the nova or any benelli, but if i could choose any waterfowl gun i would pick the 870 in a heartbeat if for no other reason than the reliability of that gun, i have never had it not go off when i pulled the trigger. Not to mention the simplicity of the action of the gun.

i would go with the fasteel, its not very expensive when u buy in bulk, and it packs a heck of a punch.

any more questions feel free to ask
Old 08-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Spike

ok what size shot? my friend bought 3.5" bb's and 3" 2's. i was thinking the 3" 2's and maybe get a box of the 3.5" bb's for the high geese
Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 PM

biggest you should need are 3" bb's (i would just get a case from kent) if you think you need 3.5's to hit a high goose, its most likely too far ( i have made that mistake more than once) not to mention 3.5's are extremely expensive
Old 08-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Spike

well, on cabelas website the kent 3" 2's are only 129.99/case. would they have enough power to kill geese as well? what about the 2 3/4 2's
Old 08-10-2008, 11:12 PM

Can 2's kill a goose? Of course they can, but bb's can do it a hell of alot better and can do it more often with alot less cripples. also, if you want to save some money on shells, try rogerssportinggoods.com .... they have great deals on everything on the site.

I have killed geese with 4 shot before, but come later in the year, when your into the migrators rather than the residents that are around in september and early november, you will need bigger pellets to get throgh all of the feathers, and bb's really arent that much more expensive, 1 dollar per box more at the absolute maximum.

Quick Reply: getting started

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.