Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

help for beginner

Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help for beginner

ORIGINAL: dukbuster

I would say go with 4's and a modified choke, because a modified will give you slightly more range while still being open enough for the close in shots.

And the reason for the fours is, when guys hunt pheasants(which in most cases are bigger than ducks) they use 5's 6's or 7's...all smaller shot than fours on a bird bigger than a duck. So 4's are plenty to knock down ducks, and its nice to have a few extra pellets in the air incase your just starting out and arent a really good shot yet.

you know your just begging for someone to argue with you when you say **** like that dude...

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Don't disagree with me, because I am right.
Dude, it was meant to be a joke. Lighten up a little. I am right though, 2 and 3 shot is the most popular for ducks. You have to remember, this guy is a beginner. It's best to start out with an IC choke with steel shot. You can kill them close in and at a distance, and I bet you will have more hits.Sure you can kill them with 4 shot, but most hunters, including myself, hunt with 2 or 3 shot. I really don't give a hoot what shot you use, just as long as you go out and have a great time. I'm not here to start an arguement. I'm here to give him a little advice.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:51 PM

I would say go with 4's and a modified choke, because a modified will give you slightly more range while still being open enough for the close in shots.

And the reason for the fours is, when guys hunt pheasants(which in most cases are bigger than ducks) they use 5's 6's or 7's...all smaller shot than fours on a bird bigger than a duck. So 4's are plenty to knock down ducks, and its nice to have a few extra pellets in the air incase your just starting out and arent a really good shot yet.

you know your just begging for someone to argue with you when you say **** like that dude...

Dude, it was meant to be a joke. Lighten up a little. I am right though, 2 and 3 shot is the most popular for ducks. You have to remember, this guy is a beginner. It's best to start out with an IC choke with steel shot. You can kill them close in and at a distance, and I bet you will have more hits.Sure you can kill them with 4 shot, but most hunters, including myself, hunt with 2 or 3 shot. I really don't give a hoot what shot you use, just as long as you go out and have a great time. I'm not here to start an arguement. I'm here to give him a little advice.

yeah that dukbusters a d*ck or what
Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: wdog1

yeah that dukbusters a d*ck or what
go fly to maryland mike lol

(superstrutter, im playen too man...i know 2 is the most popular...just sayen that with 4's you have a few extra pellets out there)
Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Fork Horn

to the original poster...keep shooting...there are fewer BB's in a shell than 8's, so there is more change for a small clay to fly through a pattern unscathed (that is what Swampcollie was getting at).... I agree with the advice to start out with 2's or 3's and an IC choke...the most common equipment mistake I used to see when guiding was people shooting too much choke for decoying birds...if you go tighter than Modified you need to be a VERY good shot to realize any benefit.... if you go too tight your patterns will blow out and you risk damaging your gun (this is why factory full is not marked for steel shot generally).... this is a ways down the road, but while you're practicing, once you have one type of lead down practice the others as well, it is a good idea to be able to shoot pull-through, pull-away, and sustained lead because they will help you on shots from certain angles....

And the reason for the fours is, when guys hunt pheasants(which in most cases are bigger than ducks) they use 5's 6's or 7's...all smaller shot than fours on a bird bigger than a duck.
dukbuster...just one question...what kinds of ducks are you shooting, teal and spoonbills only? while a pheasant had more feathers than a duck their actual body is definitely not bigger than a typical puddle duck....
Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: GordonGekko

to the original poster...keep shooting...there are fewer BB's in a shell than 8's, so there is more change for a small clay to fly through a pattern unscathed (that is what Swampcollie was getting at).... I agree with the advice to start out with 2's or 3's and an IC choke...the most common equipment mistake I used to see when guiding was people shooting too much choke for decoying birds...if you go tighter than Modified you need to be a VERY good shot to realize any benefit.... if you go too tight your patterns will blow out and you risk damaging your gun (this is why factory full is not marked for steel shot generally).... this is a ways down the road, but while you're practicing, once you have one type of lead down practice the others as well, it is a good idea to be able to shoot pull-through, pull-away, and sustained lead because they will help you on shots from certain angles....

And the reason for the fours is, when guys hunt pheasants(which in most cases are bigger than ducks) they use 5's 6's or 7's...all smaller shot than fours on a bird bigger than a duck.
dukbuster...just one question...what kinds of ducks are you shooting, teal and spoonbills only? while a pheasant had more feathers than a duck their actual body is definitely not bigger than a typical puddle duck....
mallards and woodies mostly actually, and i folded a few geese with 4's last year too...and just one question...when did MS get pheasants....p
Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wdog1

Fer sure man # 3 or # 4 is a duck load........#1 or bb is good for geese what type of shells you shooting?
hell i use #1 and BB for ducks and BBB and T for geese haha
Old 08-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GordonGekko

mallards and woodies mostly actually, and i folded a few geese with 4's last year too...and just one question...when did MS get pheasants....p
we don't unless you want to hunt a "preserve"...I usually spend 4-5 days chasing roosters in Mitchell, SD every year....also you'll find that most folks pheasant hunt with lead and comparing steel to lead is like comparing a ping pong ball to a golf ball my favorite pheasant gun is a .410 1100...i wouldn't dream of duck hunting with it though....