Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

help for beginner

Old 08-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default help for beginner

if i am shootiung clays with 8 shot i shoot descent, if i am shooting with 5 shot i do good and when i tried shooting with BB i couldnt hit anything. will a 4 shot do the job for duck hunting?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:10 PM

Default RE: help for beginner

Fer sure man # 3 or # 4 is a duck load........#1 or bb is good for geese what type of shells you shooting?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

#4through BB is sufficient for ducks, but I rarely use smaller than #3. BB is heavy, but it'll dofine.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

i am shooting BB3inch 12 gauge winchester expert out of mod choke.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best all around shot for ducks is 2 or 3. Don't disagree with me, because I am right. My first choice is 2 shot. If they are out of 2, which doesn't take long to happen, I'll go with 3 shot.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

does the choke matter? what choke does everyone use? thanks for the replies!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Modified or improved cylinder are best. For steel shot, I would go IC. You will have a more forgiving pattern. Improved cylinder with a 26 inch barrel is a deadly combination.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:44 PM

Dont get caught up in the shot size dilema shoot 2's at ducks or geese it dont matter if you do your homework, andlet the birds work. 2's will put them on the water if you buy 4's for teal 2's for ducks bb's for geese allyou endup with is a bunch of half boxes of shells and it will cost you more in the long run.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are shooting clays with a typical target load, your velocity is going to be anywhere from 1200-1300 fps... with most steel 3" loads, your velocity will be 1450 or greater... on a skeet range, that is certainly enough to make a difference. Not too many folks shoot out in front of targets very often.. but especially with a large shot like BBs... its not designed to hit a target the same thickness as your average morning newspaper, its designed to hit a target say the size of your computer monitor. That, coupled with the fact that a modified choke with BBs, at most ranges on a skeet course, is WAY too tight to be productive with. Moreover, if you are actually on a skeet range, most places will throw you off for shooting shot larger than 7.5.... so tread lightly!

I personally use #3 or #2 steel for ducks and #2, #1 or BB for geese. Situation dependant.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM

I would say go with 4's and a modified choke, because a modified will give you slightly more range while still being open enough for the close in shots.

And the reason for the fours is, when guys hunt pheasants(which in most cases are bigger than ducks) they use 5's 6's or 7's...all smaller shot than fours on a bird bigger than a duck. So 4's are plenty to knock down ducks, and its nice to have a few extra pellets in the air incase your just starting out and arent a really good shot yet.

you know your just begging for someone to argue with you when you say **** like that dude...

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Don't disagree with me, because I am right.

Quick Reply: help for beginner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.