Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Hey Ohio... YOU SUCK!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hey Ohio... YOU SUCK!

ORIGINAL: Ohio DNR Regulations Website

A nonresident may not train, work, or exercise a dog in Ohio at any time...

Girlfriend and I are heading up that way in the fall to plunder and pillage on her aunt and uncles farm.... I was going to bring the dog to shoot geese this fall.... but I guess I just have to pick them up my own self! What a STUPID law!

It goes on to say... that all you buckeyes cannot carry your dogs out of state to train work or exercise either.... whats up with this?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hey Ohio... YOU SUCK!

Wow! That's wierd.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: Ohio DNR Regulations Website

A nonresident may not train, work, or exercise a dog in Ohio at any time...

Girlfriend and I are heading up that way in the fall to plunder and pillage on her aunt and uncles farm.... I was going to bring the dog to shoot geese this fall.... but I guess I just have to pick them up my own self! What a STUPID law!

It goes on to say... that all you buckeyes cannot carry your dogs out of state to train work or exercise either.... whats up with this?

what would the point of that law be?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Whoa, where did this come from? Specifically what section of the Ohio Code did this come from?

The only thing I was able to find was able to find in the code is a reciprocal restriction which states:

1533.221 Restricting filed trials for nonresidents.[/align]

A nonresident of this state shall not exercise, train, or work a dog in this state at any time when residents of this state are prohibited from exercising, training, or working a dog in the state in which the nonresident resides, except as otherwise provided by division rule. Nonresidents may participate in bona fide field trials at any time after proper entry.
Effective Date: 10-20-1994.

This essentially meansthat a non-resident can't traininOhio only if anOhio resident wouldnot be able totrainin the state where the non-resident resides. Many states have restrictions like this. When I started hunting Arkansasa hunterhad to buy a license for a hunting dog. They did away with it sometime during the 90's if I remember correctly.

Long story short, according to the code I referenced, unless your state prohibits out of Ohio hunters from bringing a dog to train, etc., you can bring yours to Ohio.

[/align][/align]
Old 06-30-2008, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GordonGekko

Whoa, where did this come from? Specifically what section of the Ohio Code did this come from?

The only thing I was able to find was able to find in the code is a reciprocal restriction which states:

1533.221 Restricting filed trials for nonresidents.

[/align]

A nonresident of this state shall not exercise, train, or work a dog in this state at any time when residents of this state are prohibited from exercising, training, or working a dog in the state in which the nonresident resides, except as otherwise provided by division rule. Nonresidents may participate in bona fide field trials at any time after proper entry.
Effective Date: 10-20-1994.

This essentially meansthat a non-resident can't traininOhio only if anOhio resident wouldnot be able totrainin the state where the non-resident resides. Many states have restrictions like this. When I started hunting Arkansasa hunterhad to buy a license for a hunting dog. They did away with it sometime during the 90's if I remember correctly.

Long story short, according to the code I referenced, unless your state prohibits out of Ohio hunters from bringing a dog to train, etc., you can bring yours to Ohio.

[/align][/align]

This is correct. The law only applies to non-residents whose home state restricts Ohioans from doing the same.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

As I live in Ohio
We do have a few ....................DUMB to say the least laws

But you have to realy read them
They contain so much double talk

Yea if I can train in your state , you can in Ohio

But as I under stand it
Hunting is different

ALSO before you do anything
Send ODNR a email and ask , explain exactly what you plan on doing and make sure

Here is a email contact link , they will get back to you in a day or 2
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/contactform/tabid/10750/Default.aspx

IMO it is best to get the law from the source

John
Old 06-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhhhh I get it now... I suppose I was blinded by the light.....

This is one of those... "threat" laws.... saying that if we ban your dog than you'll ban our dog.... am I picking this up right?

Gordon I should have just asked you in the first place!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 PM

that law don't quite make since to me either. why would they do that?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Swampcollie, you've got it now.

I'm not sure exactly why this law would be passed, but if I had to guess I would say they are merely trying to ensure that a state which bans Ohio residents from training is "penalized" by not allowing their residents to train in Ohio. This was probably done in conjunction with Ohio building a dog training facility, if I had to guess.