Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Anyone built their own duck boat? update in the water 1-12-09 >

Anyone built their own duck boat? update in the water 1-12-09

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Anyone built their own duck boat? update in the water 1-12-09

Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone built their own duck boat? update in the water 1-12-09

I'm going to be starting one here in the next few weeks. It will be very simular to this one. http://www.freewebs.com/atomicnutria/index.htm

I'm using cyprus and Okoume plywood that I just got and kevlaring the botom and then glassing the whole thing.

Any recomendations, cautions, or tips would be appreciated.

Mello
Old 05-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone built their own duck boat?

mello,

Good looking boat. I have no advice on how to built it, but there were some guys over on the bowfishing forum building one a little while back. Theirs turned out pretty good and the folks on that forum seem to be pretty good about answering questions. I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping you out. Here's a link to the thread I am talking about:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2762058

Good luck with this project. Keep us updated on its progress.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

My bud and I are starting to build a duckboat this weekend. We got the full scale plans from www.Gatorboats.comGoing to build the 13.5ft one and put a 3 horse motor on it.Maybe we could compare notes as we build. We`re going to build the duckhunter model.

Ron
Old 05-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

I got an engine from smallenginewarehouse.com and I’m getting an aluminum frame and SS prop from utahmarshmotors.com. I’m trying to keep the boat under 80lbs equipped and the motor will be under 60lbs. I want to be able to pick it up my self and carry in two trips to the water.

I’m planning on one layer of Kevlar and then glass for the bottom. What wood, epoxy, and glass are ya’ll going to use?

mello
Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with thoes weights on that big of a boat! I just built a Hybrid duck boat, you can find them on the Refuge under boats and blinds. I dont have a finshed picture yet, Its not done all the way yet, I plan on test floating it today. Mine is 8 foot and weighs 60 + lbs. Made of 1/4 in plywood and fiberglass. I will take a look at your plans.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the best pic. I have on line. this is unfinished as you can see. Not muchglass yet and cock pit cover is not trimmed

Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: AR 34 eight point

Good luck with thoes weights on that big of a boat! I just built a Hybrid duck boat, you can find them on the Refuge under boats and blinds. I dont have a finshed picture yet, Its not done all the way yet, I plan on test floating it today. Mine is 8 foot and weighs 60 + lbs. Made of 1/4 in plywood and fiberglass. I will take a look at your plans.
My plywood is only 3mm marine Okoume. 12lbs a sheet. I am using new growth cyprus for the skeleton. It is much lighter than pine. My transom is going to be heavy since it will be two layers of ¾ marine ply. I'm now trying to find the right glass to use. I can't start for 3 weeks because of a cruise, but if y'all have any suggestions I would appreciate them.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is what I built. This is my first boat so I am no expert for sure.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=602498

Here is a link to what got me started. They have many threads on boat building here.

I have less than a 1/2 sheet of plywood and about 1 1/2 sheets of luan (I think that is spelled correctly) the rest is fiberglass. US composits has great prices on good glass

http://www.shopmaninc.com/

cut all pieces of fabric before you get any thing wet. cut them to size, corners and angles are worth just taping over. enjoy and have fun. I can try to help you if you need. Check out the refuge forums for alot of info.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

90 pounds, I could get it down to 80 if I took out the luxeries.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

AR 34 eight point

That looks great! What glass did you use? (Weight and, S or E glass) My boat is going to be 42" wide plus the addition of a few inches for the curvature of the hull. I want to lay it in one piece for weight savings if possible. I believe I need 50” wide or better and I also want to use S glass if possible, which they don’t list that wide. I am going to order my epoxy from uscomposits though. Did you tape the seams first or after? I want light S glass so I can put one layer inside the hull. Then Kevlar then light glass on the outside of the hull. With what I’m going to be doing with this boat I will have to repair the bottom glass every year or so, but I’m thinking the layering will make it a lot stronger. I am really over engineering it, but I am hard on my things.

mello

Quick Reply: Anyone built their own duck boat? update in the water 1-12-09

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.