Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Anyone built their own duck boat? update in the water 1-12-09 >

Anyone built their own duck boat? update in the water 1-12-09

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Anyone built their own duck boat? update in the water 1-12-09

Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone built their own duck boat?

Rthook1

Right now I would kill for 70’s as a temp. We have had high 50’s to very low 60’s as highs for a little over a week now. My problem is the hardener. I bought medium set because I’m a beginner and the cold snuck up on me. I really need the fast set hardener now. My temps should be in the mid 70’s right now. My cave seemed to work and I don’t have help to haul the boat in and out of the carport most of the time. As for filler in the epoxy I'm using Aerosil-Cabosil (Fumed Silica). Got it when I ordered my epoxy. I told them I wanted the best weight to strength ratio and did not care how it looked. It was what they recommended, came in as bucket of powder and lighter than dry snow. I was warned it was hard to sand. No joke, a belt sander with 40 grit and time it what it needs. Darn stuff cures into a brick but works like a charm and stays up in vertical fillets. Thanks for to tip about pigment in the epoxy. I’ll definitely check that out.

AR 34 eight point

I got it at a local boat/marine engine shop. He is the best around here so I go to him for parts and supplies sometimes. I could have gotten it cheaper from boaters world or another chain store but tried his place first and he had one. Got to support the smaller guy, you never know when you’ll need him.

Mike
Old 11-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Update

I got the keel strip routed and attached. 5.5ft long 2.5 inch wide

Laid up the thick fabric and it did not want to conform to the sides of the strip so I bought some sand and made a form. Laid the cloth, covered it with plastic and the put form on and filled with sand.

It worked OK. The fabric did not get pressed to the sides of the strip well enough. I blame that on me. I used 4mil plastic over the center of the boat and should have used saran wrap like I did for the sides. It would have stretched into the curve better than the 4mil plastic. I also believe I wiped a little too much epoxy out of that area. Ended up sanding the sides of the strip down and putting an 8 inch wide strip of glass over the area.

I wet out the bottom and laid the side fabric pieces bringing them together to double them over the front of the hull. Then while it was still wet applied another layer of glass.

After the glass was on I wrapped the edges all the way around the boat with saran wrap to help it conform to the curves. A little massaging of the material was needed at the stern corners and the bow.

Since then I've let it cure and trimmed the excess. I'll be sanding for the next couple of days to get it where I want it. Then I will be working on the deck.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Spike

Look`s great. The Titanic should havehad such a hull

...dan
Old 11-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Spike

Look`s great! The Titanic should had such a hull
Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job

Old 11-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Clicked a pic of the hull profile. She is all glassed in, just have to do the floor.

Pic of floor framing with scrap foam cut up for bulk. Ordered more pour foam yesterday to fill it up with. This should bring my flotation up to between 450-500lbs. not counting the large water tight compartment under the hatch.

Back hatch and power plug trimmed in. Got to paint and attach.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Pic of hull with graphite.

couple of pics of the deck painted.

what do you think?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone built their own duck boat? update 11/25/08

Had to modify the transom. It was originally designed for a plate to bolt to as per instructions from mark at utahmarshmotors.com. Well, the low life could not deliver the frame. I ordered it six months ago, the last several weeks he kept saying two more weeks and then stopped answering calls or emails. Don't deal with him. Really ticked me off. [:@] Now i have a frame on it's way from beavertail.

I filled the well with flotation foam and covered it with more wood and fiberglass. Glued up a mounting block out of scrap marine ply and installed 1/8" aluminum plate to each side of the block and transom. Painting it tonight.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Took her out for her maiden voyage today. 14.3mph per the gps. May need to adjust the carb and governor along with the cavitation plate to maybe get a little bit more speed.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone built their own duck boat? update in the water 1-12-09

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.