Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions >

Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions

Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 PM

Default Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions

I am not much of a waterfowler, having instead spent the majority of my fall chasing big game all around the country. I am working on getting some more waterfowl time in and I am reviewing a product for my blog and would like to get some waterfowlers opinions on this product.

The Product is Real Illusion Corn Kernels by Magnum Fields. I would really to know what you think about laying this out in your duck or goose spreads.

Thank you,

[email protected]

Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions

It's illegal. Not to mention highly un-ethical.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

its not like it will help that much IMO, if your gonna do that, why dont you just use real corn? same difference
Old 04-17-2008, 10:19 AM

I am curious to know when you state that it is highly un-ethical why you would feel that way. Most waterfowlers use decoys and calls to attract birds into their spreads, how would using artificial product resembling food be any different? I understand as well every hunter is going to have to make the decision for themselves whether to use any product in the hunting market today. Some hunters love the ROBO-Geese and ROBO-Ducks and others think they should be banned and in some states they are banned.

As far as the product being illegal, I have taken the time to check the regulations. I happen to know that it is being used in several states already with incredible success in places like Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. By all means every hunter should check the regulations in their state but I am assured after my research that this product will be legal in almost every state.

I personally cannot wait to try out this product with Deer, Turkey, Hogs and Waterfowl.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Spike

I personaly don't see it working very well. Its just another thing to throw in the trailer and take up room and something else you will have to pack out into the field.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see an advantage.... for any animal....
Just another hole to throw my money into.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntinglife

I am curious to know when you state that it is highly un-ethical why you would feel that way. Most waterfowlers use decoys and calls to attract birds into their spreads, how would using artificial product resembling food be any different? I understand as well every hunter is going to have to make the decision for themselves whether to use any product in the hunting market today. Some hunters love the ROBO-Geese and ROBO-Ducks and others think they should be banned and in some states they are banned.

As far as the product being illegal, I have taken the time to check the regulations. I happen to know that it is being used in several states already with incredible success in places like Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. By all means every hunter should check the regulations in their state but I am assured after my research that this product will be legal in almost every state.

I personally cannot wait to try out this product with Deer, Turkey, Hogs and Waterfowl.
umm read what i said again bud, didnt say a thing about being unethical.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

also, with deer, wouldnt you have to spray it with corn scent (do they even make that)
deer arent going to come to it, if they cant eat it, same thing with turkeys. and for waterfowl, why dont you just hunt a cornfield?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

then, do you pick up the kernels when you're done hunting?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:40 PM

Rory,

I never said that you had stated that it was highly Un-ethical, I am pretty sure that it was A5Mag12 who stated that it was unethical. I have already seen the videos on MagnumFields.com as well as the videos that Rick Bolton showed me last night.

You are all correct in that the Deer and the Turkeys cannot eat this product. That being said, if you lay this on the ground in front of your blind they are going to be curious about it enough to come check it out. If you are any kind of hunter and it is the animal that you want you will have that animal in shooting distance at that time and they are not going to run from it in fear. I have seen the videos of the deer taking a look at the product and I watched a video of a hen turkey in full strut because she wanted to push the decoy off of the Real Illusion Corn Kernels. If that Turkey had been a gobbler he would already be on Rick's dinner table.

As far as scent, I would spray these down with a scent eliminator spray and then lay it on the ground and kick up some real dirt onto it to mask parts of it and keep it from looking so fake. That kicking of the dirt will provide a fresh dirt smell and mask any human odor.

And alas, I did state that I am not much of a waterfowler, but that being said, I know enough to know that when hunting Geese in layout blinds almost 90% of the time you are hunting in a corn field but the corn has been harvested. Small kernels of corn fall off when the corn is harvested and that is why you almost always see geese in those fields. The farmer cannot intentionally leave the corn on the ground because that would be baiting but this product fools the geese into thinking there are small piles of corn on the ground. When Flocks of geese fly over a field they are looking for other flocks of birds that have food to eat. Which is why for 10 years Rick Bolton has set up his decoys to look like they are eating corn and his success has been fantastic.

The beauty of this product is that for $39.95 for a bag of these corn links, they are completely reusable just like your Turkey Decoys and your Goose Decoys. They are completely indestructible and with a good set up they will be just one more tool that you can have in your arsenal.

Quick Reply: Artificial Corn, Need some Opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.