HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Does Anyone hunt with a Chessie? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/241388-does-anyone-hunt-chessie.html)

inhuntr 04-08-2008 09:30 AM

Does Anyone hunt with a Chessie?

If you do what can you tell me about the dog. How was it to train? How was the temperment of the dog? How was he around strangers? I think that when I get done with college next year I am getting a dog. I just can not decide between a chessie and a lab.

johnch 04-11-2008 09:22 PM

RE: Does Anyone hunt with a Chessie?

ORIGINAL: inhuntr

If you do what can you tell me about the dog. How was it to train? How was the temperment of the dog? How was he around strangers? I think that when I get done with college next year I am getting a dog. I just can not decide between a chessie and a lab.
Currently have a lab
But I have had 2 Chessie's

Both were a little more stuborn than the labs I have had , you need to take controll and show the dog who is master
But in no way do I mean you need to be mean
I found them to be quick learners , but not as easy to train as a lab

Temperment ........ One was a stuborn block head , but both werea hunting machine
The male was part gaurd dog , no one got in the yard without him barking his head off and acting like he was stalking you
IMO he would not bite , but you thought he would
The female would only growl and give the "LOOK"

Around strangers both were not overly freindly , Once they got to know you
They would allow you in the blind and not completely ignore you , but neither wanted to be freinds till you were around them a few times
Kids were different , they both loved kids

Both Chessie's coats were oily
They have more of a musk smell than labs

IMO I would not recomend a Chessie as a first time dog
They are much more of a chalange to train

Also not sure where you are from
But Chessies are best in the cooler parts of the country
Early season , neither of them wanted to hunt much when it got warm

But in -10 F with ice on their coats , they would lay down and fall asleep waiting for me to shoot something

John

drgildy 04-12-2008 06:11 AM

I agree with Johnch. If it is your first dog training project you should begin with a Lab. I raised Labs for over 30 years and they are much easier to train. That said the Chessies I have are the turn to guys when you have tough conditions. When the times get tough the tough get going. Chessies are smart, have terrific coats, can have an attitude but are a true joy when you have them trained. The only dog I have at present is a 5 yr old Chessie female. She is a fun dog but you always have to be thinking when training or they will train you and do it their way. No heavy hands just firm and quick.

reswire 04-16-2008 07:00 PM

I own two chessie pups, one 5 mos. one 6 mos. Both are really great dogs, but they are independant thinkers!The 5 month old is a breeze to work with, learns quick, great personality and is an avid swimmer. The older pup is trying hard to be dominant,something I hearchessies will try constantly. She trains well and quickly when she wants to,,,. A friend of mine introduced me to an e-collar, and with little use, only when absolutely necessary,she has come a long way. Both love the water, and stick to my wifeand I like glue. We live on the water, and the biggest problem is keeping them out of the bay. As soon as the door opens, splash, they're in!!

If I were young and pressed for a social life, girls, friends, etc.,,, I probably wouldn't recommend a chessie.I work 30-40 minutes each day with each dog, and the results are really worthwhile. Any less, and I think I wouldprobably disappointed. I did have a lab previously, and he was an awesome dog as well.He was probably more suited to the younger set, someonewhowill be on the go, around lots of other folks and dogs as well. Chessies like to see familiar people and places, I believe they really don't care for change as much as a lab.

Good luck either way, Chessies are definitely mypersonal favorite, but my labwas an awesome dog as well.

Duckbuster612 04-17-2008 05:22 AM

Chessies are all my family grew up with...in my opinion they are tough breed, not afraid to get in some cold water, and bretty loyal. My buddy has a male and a female, the male is a a-hole because he never brings us the duck we shoot...the female is excelent, theres no messing around with her

drgildy 04-18-2008 07:39 AM

It seems that most people who have or have had Chessies feel the same. They need a firm hand but not a mean one. I agree that they do not like change but the one I currently have is such a joy to this old man that if I outlive this girl I will probably have to get another. I really like the personality on each that I have had.

jpg2esq 04-19-2008 09:34 PM

I have had a number of started and finished labs even up through Master Title. That being said I have always wanted a Chessie and am still looking for a started one now that my last dog passed away. I hear they are rough with kids around and in the house etc.

turkeyslayer34 05-02-2008 12:09 PM

my buddy has one..... tough as nails, and stubborn, if you have no time and patence stay clear

,if you want a duck machine get one.

camelcluch 05-03-2008 01:27 PM

I have hunted with a few. My buddy breeds them and they are awesome. Tons of personality and drive. They are a bit more hard headed than a lab. The chessies I have seen live with kids and are great around them. They are very gentle and protective around the small ones. I choose a pointing lab because I hunt a lot of upland as well but the chessie well in the field. I have yet to see a bad chessie in the field. I think it mostly due to not being as popular and over bread. I recomend them for sure.