Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck hunting

Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default Duck hunting

I livein VA and live on 5 acres with a 1 1/2 acre pond. I have noticed lately a large number of ducks, some real nice mallards, hanging out in the pond.

I have been shooting my bow in my yard, and the ducks look like real good targets. I know my rights as a landowner, but have checked my local seasons and bag limits and dont see an actual start of duck season.Isee tons of info on blinds, stamps, etc. but nothing with any dates in the statutes.

Is there a season, or can I legally take a mallard out of my pond?

TIA

Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Duck hunting

There is a season, they just wont post it until after september 1st. Thats the way the magritory bird laws do in VA. Same as in NC... Only ones they post before sept 1 are dove and early goose (pestulant) season. It is ILLEAGAL to take a duck on your pond out of season... its a federal offense too since migaritory birds are federaly protected. The first duck season should be the close to being the last 4 days of the first week in october, the second split usually starts 2nd sat of nov to sat after thanksgivingm third slpit rund from 2nd sat in dec to 3rd sat in jan. Thos dates are approximate...
Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also . . . be sure you do not use lead-tipped arrows but only non-toxic metal tipped arrows so you don't run a-fowl of the federal toxic shot ban!!!

Just kidding. Be sure you shoot those ducks while they are flying -- no the wing as we say -- otherwise it isn't sporting! That will be a tough shot with a bow and arrow!!! Also, I'm kind of joking here.

Why not buy a shotgun and take up duck hunting the usual way?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:54 PM

ya do not shoot them now.. you will get in big ****. There is a season for waterfowl and it is poaching if you shoot them out of season. Get into duck hunting, you will enjoy it most likely.. its the most addicting hunting i have got into, and i hunt everything from big game such as moose and deer- small game such as rabbits and everything else.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info! I wouldnt want to get in trouble!!!

I do hunt just about everything that moves, but never really got into duck hunting. Probably because I have never had the habitat to do it. I have buddies that do it and plan on a trip next time im invited!

Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

Thanks for the info! I wouldnt want to get in trouble!!!

I do hunt just about everything that moves, but never really got into duck hunting. Probably because I have never had the habitat to do it. I have buddies that do it and plan on a trip next time im invited!

Thanks again.
If you have a 1 and a half acre pond with ducks on it.... your friends are probably gonna come to you for that hunt
Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

My neighbors run an equestrian ranch with 25 horses. Its tough for me to even shoot targets without them cussing me out. Its kind of funny though, my wife and I got married in our back yard and one of our wedding gifts were 6 ducks. They lasted about 6 weeks. Every week one would disappear, with a pile of feathers on the ground, until eventually they were all gone.

Those domesticated ducks never saw the foxes when they went to sleep!

We usually have spells when the snow geese will hang out and make a bunch of noise until they get sick of my dog chasing them off. But this year its been several mallards, and their girlfriends.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 AM

if its your property, screw the neighbours.. its your right to hunt your own land.. get some decoys, learn to duck call, and blast them this fall
Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

My neighbors run an equestrian ranch with 25 horses. Its tough for me to even shoot targets without them cussing me out. Its kind of funny though, my wife and I got married in our back yard and one of our wedding gifts were 6 ducks. They lasted about 6 weeks. Every week one would disappear, with a pile of feathers on the ground, until eventually they were all gone.

Those domesticated ducks never saw the foxes when they went to sleep!

We usually have spells when the snow geese will hang out and make a bunch of noise until they get sick of my dog chasing them off. But this year its been several mallards, and their girlfriends.

So do you live in Chesapeake or on the shore? Plenty of waterfowling opportunities around both places... but I do know a few folks who have "run a foul of the foals" so to speak with horses and neighbors. Especially in Chesapeake!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:25 PM

man there is a season on ducks and they are protected federally. No duck season is in ritght now. I can also say as a land owner u are still required to have a federal duck stamp. most seasons run fron nov - feb.

Quick Reply: Duck hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.