Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

well, what now?

Old 03-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default well, what now?

I am bored at work, so I'm gonna throw this post out there. I was wondering what you guys like to do in the months between duck/goose season. I'll start:

I like to crappie fish February through April/May or so. I also turkey hunt in Aprilthrough midMay. I bowfish and shootthe heck out of crows from mid May through the end of August. I squirrel hunt inSeptember through November. Iusually make it to a couple dove shoots in September. I deer hunt mid September through the end of November, then back to duck season in December and January.

Allright, what else besides ducks and geese do you guys like to hunt and fish?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 PM

Default RE: well, what now?

fishing, shoot clays
Old 03-19-2008, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right now I'm crappie fishing and waitin on the walleyes, then at night during turkey season I set lines for flatheads, then once that happens, throough the summer I bass fish and catfish, then once things begin to cool I start clay shooting and getting my bow ready again, then deer opens with fall turkey, quail and pheasant open, snow kills the nbugs off the bunnies, gun season for deer lasts one day for me then I rock right back into duck and goose for 3 months....
Old 03-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been crappie fishing a bit, but I'm already focusing on prespawn bass. The hickory and American shad are running in the river, and the temp needs to come up another degree before it gets hot and we can have 100+ fish days (no kidding). I am a rabid turkey hunter of course, and about mid way through the season the stripers run from the bay up the James River into the rapids in the middle of Richmond, which is always fun. That will last through late may. Around June, its bass fish when I can, and bum rides offshore for the big fish. I'm heading to Maine again for the first time in a few years in July/August to fish a few lakes and streams, go white water rafting and tour the coast. A week there and its down to NY to fish Oneida Lake and Lake Ontario and visit with some family that lives there on Oneida.

I shoot 3D archery tournaments about every other weekend all summer, and try to shoot skeet or sporting clays as often as possible. I work with Dutch (the swamp collie) every day a little bit to keep him polished.

By late summer, all I'm thinking about is doves. Behind turkey and waterfowl hunting, doves are my next love. I'll chase them all September long and intermittentely shoot resident geese and a few teal if there are any to be shot (usually don't have much of an early teal season here) and start scouting for archery season. October is for bow season, as is early November. Once duck season opens, deer hunting pretty much stops save a few social hunts with friends around the holidays.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 AM

Fishing, spring bear hunt and getting ready for the fall hunting season and more fishing.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

then at night during turkey season I set lines for flatheads
You need to get out there and try some hand grabbin for flatheads. Biggest thrill a man can experience. You get into a big one and they bite as hard as any dog.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crowkilla

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

then at night during turkey season I set lines for flatheads
You need to get out there and try some hand grabbin for flatheads. Biggest thrill a man can experience. You get into a big one and they bite as hard as any dog.
This was illegal in Kansas up till last year... Now you need a special hand fishing permit...

Old 03-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I've been crappie fishing a bit, but I'm already focusing on prespawn bass. The hickory and American shad are running in the river, and the temp needs to come up another degree before it gets hot and we can have 100+ fish days (no kidding). I am a rabid turkey hunter of course, and about mid way through the season the stripers run from the bay up the James River into the rapids in the middle of Richmond, which is always fun. That will last through late may. Around June, its bass fish when I can, and bum rides offshore for the big fish. I'm heading to Maine again for the first time in a few years in July/August to fish a few lakes and streams, go white water rafting and tour the coast. A week there and its down to NY to fish Oneida Lake and Lake Ontario and visit with some family that lives there on Oneida.

I shoot 3D archery tournaments about every other weekend all summer, and try to shoot skeet or sporting clays as often as possible. I work with Dutch (the swamp collie) every day a little bit to keep him polished.

By late summer, all I'm thinking about is doves. Behind turkey and waterfowl hunting, doves are my next love. I'll chase them all September long and intermittentely shoot resident geese and a few teal if there are any to be shot (usually don't have much of an early teal season here) and start scouting for archery season. October is for bow season, as is early November. Once duck season opens, deer hunting pretty much stops save a few social hunts with friends around the holidays.
I used to Ice Fish Oneida every year when I was a kid...(originally from Sodus Point NY)....
Old 03-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Well, i would have to say usually work, work, work, and then i Paintball which takes up alot of time. Then get in the mode for hunting which is all the time.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 PM

I have been shooting a few clays here and there. Been going out to farms and taking care of some pigeons with my buddy. Setting my sites on that big Tom now...then its on to buying for stuff for Duck Hunting and working!
Hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.