Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose Calling NEED HElp!!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 AM

Default RE: Goose Calling NEED HElp!!

K ill check that out, yea my bf chewed my butt lol I started wanting to do the harder stuff lol it was funny, My bfs lookin for some calling contests, hes pretty good lot a people admire his calling abilities he is ALWAYS blowin on his calls lol but he hasnt went to a contest yet i really want him to, put hes havin trouble findin some around here and we dont have cars so traveling is kinda hard for him lol i think hes been doin it for 2 or 3 yrs now. im not sure though. Thas good job on your placings, and getting out there and doin it!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:16 AM

K ill check that out, yea my bf chewed my butt lol I started wanting to do the harder stuff lol it was funny, My bfs lookin for some calling contests, hes pretty good lot a people admire his calling abilities he is ALWAYS blowin on his calls lol but he hasnt went to a contest yet i really want him to, put hes havin trouble findin some around here and we dont have cars so traveling is kinda hard for him lol i think hes been doin it for 2 or 3 yrs now. im not sure though. Thas good job on your placings, and getting out there and doin it!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 PM

ya keep us up to date on how your calling is doing. If you can, post up some recordings.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Yup sure will!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do a "too whit" note.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:13 PM

I second the Bad Grammer DVD by Scott Threinen! Excellant instruction from how to operate your call to the different notes and when to use them, etc. We also sell this DVD on our online store if you are interested. www.hoosierhitsquad.com
Old 03-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Comp goose calling is a pretty complex thing. I don't fool with it myself. I've been encouraged by several other comp callers, but no thanks. I am however, a competition duck caller.... took fourth place honors in the state contest in 2007. Its a much more set routine, and it requires a much much MUCH more exact tone, pitch and a lot of control. There isn't much room to get creative with mainstreet style calling. Meat or live duck contests are a whole different story. I love blowing in the two man contests... when you and your buddy can sound like an entire flock of ducks, it'll give you chills.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:25 PM

Sweet you can have a partner in that?!?!?! That would be fun. I think im gona try to invest in a duck call, i think i will have to get a second job for all the hunting stuff i wana get!! lol i kno my mom thinks im nuts but my grandma encourages me. My mom wants me to be this prissy little thing, but thats nvr gna happen lol just aint me. Whats mainstreet calling? I think i know what chills your talkin bout lol when i go pheasant hunting and i kno theres one right there or it flys up in front of me I get this HUGE adrenaline rush, and feel so hyper and weak and IDK lol its an insane feeling! O and I am GOING TO GET THAT BAD GRAMMER DVD NO MATTER WHAT! LOL
Old 03-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gungirlcaller

Whats mainstreet calling?
The World's Championship Duck Calling Contest is held every year on the weekend after Thanksgiving in Stuttgart, Arkansas. The town isn't very big, maybe 1000-1500 people at the most live there full time. The whole town shuts down for what is called the "Wings over the Prarie" Festival, which includes the World's Championship. The event is held on a stage, constructed just for this purpose right slam in the middle of town on Main St. Therefore, the routine, which is unique to the World's Contest, is called "Mainstreet Style" calling. Live duck rusn the same sequence, but ringing the call will automatically disqualify you (see below).

Duck calling the world's championship requires a caller to "ring" the call, which is a high pitched tone done on a "hail call"or "High ball" call. It is a sound that no mallard duck can make. Its all for show. Here is a sample of the whole routine, which can last no more than 90 seconds. The hail call is the first series of long, loud calling you'll hear, followed by the rolling feed call, or machine gun feed call. The whole routine is fairly complex, I won't get into it. This sample is the actual 2006 World's Championship, final round. The caller is Jim Ronquest, and this routine was enough to win him the World's that year.

http://www.callingducks.com/calling_clip_details.aspx?ID=468

Here is a sample of two man duck calling. Note that there is no ringing hail call like the first sample. And it really does sound like a a bunch of mallards just loafing and resting in a refuge pond.

http://www.callingducks.com/calling_clip_details.aspx?ID=348

Here's a goose contest routine. The caller is "Big Sean" Hammock. Opinions vary, but I think he is one of the best goose callers not just today, but probably ever. His resume is as long as I am tall. Its amazing.

http://www.callingducks.com/calling_clip_details.aspx?ID=307

This is a two man goose contest, with Big Sean and Hunter Engel. You and your boyfriend can compete as a team. Practice up, for the world's, this is what you'll be up againest! Its amazing when you listen to it that there are only two people calling, considering that it sounds like a flock of around 30 or 40 geese.

http://www.callingducks.com/calling_clip_details.aspx?ID=349

In all seriousness, comp calling is about having fun. Like anything else there are people who will take it way too seriously, but I've had a blast at every contest I've ever been to or called in, and always learned something new and made new friends.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Man I hope to go to that mainstreet thing someday that sounds like a blast! Is ringing the duck call hard to do or hard to perfect?.. Im gona start making a list of things i want to do, I want to get a duck call, and start doing that too. but i have too wait til i get some more moolah since i got those calling dvds today. Thanks for getting those sound files together and explaining them to me that really helped alot and taught me alot. I really like the two man goose one it sounds like a bunch of geese anytime i ever hear a goose my head flys up lol n i wish i had my call, its not really mine my bf gave it to me. But that would be so cool to go around and do that with him. I HATE it when people get so competative i drives me crazy! and even worse cockiness really gets me. But me and my bf are opposites we always strive eachother to be better but not without some arguing. I kno we will have a lot of different opinions on how the routine should go and all that. But we always make eachother better. lol Im scared though cuz im kinda shy and nervous around a lot of people. i hate it cause i have a really outgoing personallity. Im learning so much from you this is sogood. I hope all my ?s and everything dont bother you. How do you know SOOO much ive seen some other posts you have made and ur and intelligent guy!!! lol

Quick Reply: Goose Calling NEED HElp!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.