Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose Calling NEED HElp!!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:48 PM

Default Goose Calling NEED HElp!!

hi there i just started out goose calling and i have been trying to find words to say into the goose call, any tips at all would help!! i wana be one of the few or maybe only girl goose caller!! lol
Old 03-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Default RE: Goose Calling NEED HElp!!

Any websites or anything that would help me out woul be great to..
Old 03-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

I'm mainly a duck hunter,but I can blow a goose call well enough for the neighbors to look to the sky when I practice. If I say a word into the call, I guess it would be something like a very breathy "hoo-it". The air should come from your diaphram like it would if you were blowing a duck call. There are lots of variations on that word, hoo-it, depending on the sound you want to make. In my opinion, I think Jeff Foiles with Foiles Migrators is one of the best goose callers around, just my opinion. He has some good instructional cd's on his website. He's cocky though and some people are turned off by that.

I think Colorado Luckydog and Swamp Collie are big goose hunters from the pictures I've seen, so they could probably offer some betteradvice/opinions.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks! I always try too-witt but it dont seem right im just trying to get diff variations to see what works for me. Im better at doing the goose call then the duck call lol probably because i havnt really blown on it that much. Yea im going to buy a video or Cd but im not sure which one i should get, Cause i heard that what you listen to is what your going to sound like i dnt kno if thats true or not though. My bf likes Fred Zink alot. I havnt watched much videos yet.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

try adding a little growl into it. instead of blowing into the call like ho-it try uh-it make sure the uh comes from the back of your throat
Old 03-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

zinks dvd is good. Honker talk is another good one. Check out callingducks.com and you can listen to all kinds of goose callers.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:41 PM

the best advice i can give you is to buy the "bad grammer" dvd by scott thrienen. It will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know. Its by far the best dvd out there at the moment as far as calling goes. But i also suggest to pick up more than one cd/dvd/ Get honker talk, the bad grammer dvd and cd, craig mcdonalds 100% all goose, etc. The more the better since you will learn tons from each

SOrry to burst your bubble, but there are girl goose callers also. So you wont be the only one, but there are only a few.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, first off welcome to waterfowl hunting/calling. Prepare yourself for three months of no sleep, poor nutrition, financial ruin, cold feet, wet ears and hands and after the season the rest of the year will seem to playing in slow motion.

Exactly how you blow a goose call depends entirely on what kind of call you have. I read you were saying too-whit into the call. If you are blowing a flute style call, that would be correct, or at least a good place to start. Everything with a flute is spoken from the teeth, forward in the mouth. Conversely, a short reed style call requires you to drop your jaw a bit more. For honks I'd say who-it, flexing my stomach muscles and exhaling sharply on the 'it'. For clucks I simple say 'whit' very sharply. I use very little growl (typically) in a short reed goose call, and none at all in a flute. I control the pitch/growl of the call by using whats called back pressure. In laymens terms, that means how you position your hands. With a short reed, your hands are as important to good quality goose sounds as anything else. Only time I'll put larynx or vocalization into the call is when I'm doing moans/push moans or buzz clucks/shoreman honks.

Here is a link to a very good website that will give you a breakdown of every noise a goose makes (and some they can't) and what they mean, as well as an audio made by some of the best callers in the world. You can click on either the name of the caller, or down below on the name of the vocalization. What probably sounded just like honks and clucks to you, is acctually a very balanced and orchestrated chaos of about 30 different sounds goose callers make. Some of it applies only to competition, but the more sounds you can make on a goose call, the easier it will be for you to call geese effectively.

http://www.callingducks.com/talk_goose_main.aspx

As far as learning how to call goes, the best advice I can give you is to learn exactly how much pressure it takes to 'break' your call. Breaking or breaking over is when your call goes from making a buzz to making a high pitched note. A honk for example goes from low to high. What you as the caller needs to learn is exactly what it takes to make that call break, and commit that to muscle memory. That is the foundation of call control. Other than that, practice and practice and practice. There is only so much I can teach you in a written word.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 AM

Thanks alot im going to keep going over what you guys have told me and PRACTICE! lol I checked out that cite and that is perfectly what I have been looking for thanks for your time and help, Where can I get a bad grammer DVD and what is the price of that?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:26 AM

you can order the bad grammer from many places. I ordered mine from traderoutdoors.com for 19$ with free shipping. Best price ive seen it since the free shipping. Good luck on your calling. It will get frustrating for a while but you will get it with practice. I started calling about a year and a half ago and this year started contest calling. At my first contest i placed 3rd in the open goose and then last saturday placed 8th in the novice goose and 5th in the duck. Just work on the basics right now, cluck, honk, moan. And then with time you will be able to do the more advanced notes, but DONT move on to them until you got the fundamentals down (scott will teach you all this in his dvd)

Quick Reply: Goose Calling NEED HElp!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.