Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What Kind Of Shotgun

Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 AM

Default What Kind Of Shotgun

Ok im from saskatchewan Canada lots of waterfowling in the province im buying a new gun i have a Mossberg Bolt action 20 Gauge and it is to slow and it was made for slugs i em think about the Stouger M2000 but it is $687 And i really dont want to spend that money i was thinking about another mossberg or and H&R Excell Waterfowler My budget is undder 600 and it has to be semi Can anyone help me Greatley Ap
Old 03-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Kind Of Shotgun

i am actually looking at getting a mossberg 935 myself, but if you dont mind shooting used guns go look in a used gun store for a Remington 1100, if you dont mind shooting 2 3/4"
Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 AM

But would 2 3/4 Be Enough For Ducks And Geese???
Old 03-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you get the right barrel for the 1100 then it can shoot 3" too, but i use the 1100 on everything, besides its not the size of the shell but the aim that matters, i shot a speckle-belly that was 35 yards strait up with 2 3/4" 2's and it was dead before it hit the ground, when out of the same flock my dad shot one with 3 1/2" BBs and only wounded his, just goes to show its our aim that matters not the shell(in most cases)
Old 03-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

thats right, don"t matter what you shot at"em if you don"t hitt"em, it don"t matter. I"d look for the gun, new or used that fits you best and is in your price range. I got a new remington 870 last year with the synthetic stock, boy I like this gun, easy to clean. If you scratch it up it does"nt bother you so much ya know. I can shoot 3.5 in. but 2.75 is enough I think, but the 3.5 is nice for coyotes.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Why does it have to be semi?

Your on a budget
You hunt waterfowl
You want a good shotgun

That has 870 written all over it.

As far as Stouger goes, I owned one brand new right on of the box, HUNK OF JUNK.
They are poorly machined and they say there made with beneilli parts...that means two things to me.
1. Its a sales pitch
2. they are all of beneilles 2nd grade hand me down parts.

But thats just my 223...
Old 03-03-2008, 01:35 PM

I have to go with the 870. Best waterfowl gun ever made. I have seen one go to the bottom of the lake and pick it up out of the water two weeks later put a shell in it and shoot.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:10 PM

I am a Benelli fan and within that price range would recommend a Super Nova. The 870 is a distant second in my mind, albeit still a good gun. Like the patterns, tough as nails, highly versatile. Has some recoil reducing properties and will take anything from 2 3/4-3 1/2" loads, plus you can buy a rifled barrel for slugs if you'd like. The one con vs. 870, can't customize as much. But I have never felt the need to for a folding stock on a waterfowl/upland game gun. Oh, you'll also notice the internals are better on the Super and it's extemely easy to strip. A BPS would be my #2.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got the money for just about whatever I want gun wise, and I find myself more and more often reaching for the made in 1973 Remington 870 Wingmaster.

I like that commercial with the Duck Commander that goes....

"For me, a good waterfowl gun has to do three things.... Boom.. boom.... boom......"
Old 03-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

go and get the remington 870 supermag it was meant to kill ducks, geese, and anything else that flys

Quick Reply: What Kind Of Shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.