Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Hevishot vs steel

Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hevishot vs steel

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

duplicitousness

All you high school kids getting ready to take the SATs this fall..... remember that one!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mustad

No. I don't think they are worth the extra money. Weight and density alone will not improve kill shots. You're still dealing with the same problem you do with steel, that is very hard metal traveling very fast. If you want to improve your odds of providing a kill shot, you need a softer metal that will cause more damage. Bismuth is a great material for this, but they did not gain market acceptance.

Hevi-shot does the same thing as steel except at further distance. Practice shooting more is the only way to increase kill shots.
Weight and density give you more penatration which gives you a much better kill shot. #7 1/2 hevi shot at 1300 fps will blow through a mallard at 45 yards taking out heart, lungs and other vital organs giving me the best kill shots I've seen in close to 45 years of duck hunting.

#6 hevi shot is good for any size duck inside 65 yards if you choose to shoot and can shoot them that far. Sometimes you need to dust off your steel shooting buddys cripples. #4 hevi is the perfect duck/goose combo and #2 hevi is strictly a goose load.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

It doesn't necesarily give you more penetration. It gives you more penetration at longer distances. At shorter distances though, I haven't found it makes a difference, at least not one that warrants the additional cost. That said, I agree if you can and want to take that 50-60+ yard shot, hevi-shot will perform much better than steel.

Although, I would argue at greater distances you're still dealing with the same problem that you have with steel, namely that it is a very hard metal. It would be a similar comparison with a full metal jacket single projectile. It can easily pass through the target without causing a kill. A softer metal will perform better at longer distances than hevi-shot.

ORIGINAL: A5Mag12

No. I don't think they are worth the extra money. Weight and density alone will not improve kill shots. You're still dealing with the same problem you do with steel, that is very hard metal traveling very fast. If you want to improve your odds of providing a kill shot, you need a softer metal that will cause more damage. Bismuth is a great material for this, but they did not gain market acceptance.

Hevi-shot does the same thing as steel except at further distance. Practice shooting more is the only way to increase kill shots.
Weight and density give you more penatration which gives you a much better kill shot. #7 1/2 hevi shot at 1300 fps will blow through a mallard at 45 yards taking out heart, lungs and other vital organs giving me the best kill shots I've seen in close to 45 years of duck hunting.

#6 hevi shot is good for any size duck inside 65 yards if you choose to shoot and can shoot them that far. Sometimes you need to dust off your steel shooting buddys cripples. #4 hevi is the perfect duck/goose combo and #2 hevi is strictly a goose load.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 PM

This is a great thread. I was ready to buy a case of hevi shot but now I am not going to. I had been shooting hevi-steel last year but now I am thinking of getting away fromEnvironmental Metalcompany and go to either blackcloud or fasteel.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Is there a difference between all the non toxic metals from an environmental standpoint? I remember that Bismuth Cartridge Company came out with a bio-degradable casing. I thought it was a good idea given how much plastic was going in the water, but again they were never able to get market acceptance.

ORIGINAL: inhuntr

This is a great thread. I was ready to buy a case of hevi shot but now I am not going to. I had been shooting hevi-steel last year but now I am thinking of getting away from Environmental Metal company and go to either blackcloud or fasteel.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:58 PM

Sorry I meant Environ-Metal

Is there a difference between all the non toxic metals from an environmental standpoint? I remember that Bismuth Cartridge Company came out with a bio-degradable casing. I thought it was a good idea given how much plastic was going in the water, but again they were never able to get market acceptance.

ORIGINAL: inhuntr

This is a great thread. I was ready to buy a case of hevi shot but now I am not going to. I had been shooting hevi-steel last year but now I am thinking of getting away fromEnvironmental Metalcompany and go to either blackcloud or fasteel.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that there is no ill-long term fallout from any of the shot material that gets federal "non-tox" approval. Although there are certain types of tungsten based shot, such as Kent's Tungsten Matrix that are also plastic polymer mixes. Honestly, even as great as hevi-shot is, I think Tungsten Matrix is/was the best of the heavy weights. I still shoot a bit of it out of my old 20 double gun and my A5 16. It just swats ducks out of air like a big tennis racquet.... that soft shot crumples 'em.