HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Snow goose help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/233647-snow-goose-help.html)

bwhunter501 02-20-2008 10:37 AM

Snow goose help

This wil be my first time snow goose hunting and me and my buddies have around 350-400 decoys from rags to silos. i was just wondering what kind of setup to use with this many decoys? as in how to posistion, if theres a special way, where should the hunter sit according the the flock layout. Iv goose hunted for a couple years now but never snow goose hunted so any help would be great. thanks Jake

dkhunter8383 02-20-2008 10:56 AM

RE: Snow goose help

what are you using for blinds?

bwhunter501 02-20-2008 12:07 PM

we are all using layout blinds, there is four of us

SouthDakotaHunter 02-25-2008 08:58 PM

I like to create landing zones, so I can more easily guess/pick where they are going to have a tendency to land. The black represents bands of decoys. Here's a basic example I put together for something else a while back. I would hide out in the back part of the decoys next tothe primary landing zone. Good luck - hunting snow geese can be a real blast!

johnch 02-26-2008 04:55 PM

SouthDakotaHunter's digram is almost exactly like the set up we used a few years back
We sat on white patio chairs , wearing the white painters coveralls with white face masks
And we painted our guns white

If I remember right we put out close to 1000 decoys ( 10 guys )

Boy do I wish I could make it out this spring

John

titleAndStar(472,0,false,false,"","")

Jlloyd31 03-01-2008 05:28 PM

decoys are a waste of time on snows. we would stand in the ditch and wait for them to fly in to the field and just shoot the hell out of them. never once did we throw out a decoy and we limited out everyday. or just go sit in the boat on the river and wait for them to fly inland and cut loose.

BKL Gundogs 03-01-2008 10:59 PM

Yeah, but how many boxes of shells did you go through in a day of shooting. Past shooting is fun but it's nothing like having them in your face. I hunt the white ghost every year and have never shot more than4 boxes of shells through the season. Always came home with my limit of birds.

HONKERS 03-02-2008 10:53 AM

I like to set my rig up by makingit look like one Big Feeding line....50 yards across by 75 yards....they seem to decoys alot better...Honkers41

bowfisherman 03-02-2008 02:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Jlloyd31

decoys are a waste of time on snows. we would stand in the ditch and wait for them to fly in to the field and just shoot the hell out of them. never once did we throw out a decoy and we limited out everyday. or just go sit in the boat on the river and wait for them to fly inland and cut loose.
you statement is ridiculous. Every area is different. Your method is useless where I hunt.