HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   motion or variance? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/231012-motion-variance.html)

CanadaSlammer69 02-05-2008 10:24 PM

motion or variance?

im looking to build an unstopable duck spread this year and am wonding what is going to be more important: different decoys/body positions or motion in the spread. i know that both are important but with about400 to spend i cant do a ton of motion without sacrificing in other areas. im gonna be hunting mallards on the wisconsin river so i figure the current will add some motion. so what do you think motion,varience, or an even mix of both?

kingvjack 02-06-2008 05:47 AM

RE: motion or variance?

Motion.... I've seen ducks pass a spread with 25 deeks in it and head over to another guy with 4 deeks and a mojo..... that and ripples or divers or whatever.... motion makes the cake...

Crowkilla 02-06-2008 08:00 AM

Motion, no question. You can get a baby mojo or two and save some money. I actually like the babies better because they make less noise and seem to run longer.

SwampCollie 02-07-2008 02:14 PM

I agree totally. Motion is the key. Real ducks move. Plastic ducks, cork ducks, painted ducks, flocked ducks... doesn't matter.. they will never be real ducks.... but the one thing you can definately immulate well is duck movement on the water. On still days... ripples are as deadly as a ton of bait and a live decoy.

Simp 02-07-2008 06:42 PM

Something that I saw on TV recently was a guy using a Mojo, but instead of standing it up like one normally would, he leaned it forward so the wings just barely clipped the water. Definitely made plenty of ripples! Not sure if they're really supposed to be used like this or not but it worked.

SwampCollie 02-07-2008 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Simp

Something that I saw on TV recently was a guy using a Mojo, but instead of standing it up like one normally would, he leaned it forward so the wings just barely clipped the water. Definitely made plenty of ripples! Not sure if they're really supposed to be used like this or not but it worked.
The other thing that I have found very helpful with regards to Mojos is the optional remote control. Being able to turn it on or off at command really helps with late season birds, espeically further down the flyways.

The other thing I noticed this year is that the birds seem to shy away from them late if you are using the standard 3' pole. I bought an extended pole, which put the decoy up 10' in the air, and it worked like they'd never seen one before.... strange but effective.

BKL Gundogs 02-17-2008 01:45 AM

Yes, motion is the key. But you don't have to have just mojo or the lucky duck. Try the old jerk cord, or the mallard machine, and a couple of motion wing decoys. That will give you plenty of motion with that set up. Now are you hunting on the bank or boat. I have a killer set up that never lets me down. Yes it does consist of all the above but in rations and certain numbers during the season. Now later in the season, motion is still the key, but you need alot more, or none at all. Think of it this way, if you were the ducks and everytime you see 1 or 2 maybe 3 mojos out there. And everytime you went in to see you got shot at would you still go there. That is late season hunting. We all know that almost every duck hunter has 1 or maybe 2 mojos, but have you ever seen a spread with 8 to 12 mojos, 3 mallard machine, a jerk cord and1 to2 dozen decoys. Now that is what I call going big. But if that still doesn't work then, pick up about 4 to 6 decoys and move about 50 yards down or up river and just throw those decoys out and use the whistle instead of a duck call. Remember that if they are shy of your spread, and calls. Now you might think I am nuts about that but wait, think about it. When the ducks are receiving a lot of pressure ever see them go just outside of range and then start to swim in or draw other ducks towards them instead, and they don't quack at them they kinda whistle instead. Oh does that make your mind boggle with joy and excitement about wanting to try it now. You must adapt and find better ways of hunting them or be like the pretending duck hunters hang up the hat and go home.