HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   What r your thoughts on the spread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/230266-what-r-your-thoughts-spread.html)

yelik 02-01-2008 01:40 PM

What r your thoughts on the spread

Well guys here is what we got:
2 doz Final Approach Fullbodies
1 doz " " Flocked Head Shells
1 doz GHG Flocked Shells
3.75 doz Old School Carry Lite Stackable Shells (Newly Painted Chechs and tails)
1 doz Flambeu Ducks - Keel removed for field use.
- 3 blinds-2 flags-lots of ammo
-The above has worked well for us we are just wanting to add some decoys- we were wondering what the thoughts are??/
a) 1 doz More FA- Fullbodies
or
b) 1 doz Magnum shells (32inch)
What would you suggest???

GeneRagulsky 02-01-2008 02:23 PM

RE: What r your thoughts on the spread

Just my 2 cents.... I would go with the full bodies. The purpose of the larger shells is to attract them from a distance. If you have enough of a spread, they will come. It will be the full body detail that will finish the birds.

Hope that helps.

Simp 02-01-2008 04:37 PM

Absolutely!

mike2355 02-01-2008 06:35 PM

yup more fullbodies

yelik 02-01-2008 07:54 PM

thansk for not razen me on the Carrylites They r the old school ones made in Italy. not the shinny plastic ones of today. the fullbodies have not made it out to the filed so that left us with the shells and stackable for the year. lots of 100 plus meet there maked this ove rthem so we can't give up on em yet. nice fillers

DuckHuntin247 02-03-2008 08:33 PM

Glad to see you use final approach, thats all we use and love them. I would go with the full bodies. The shells are nice looking, and compact, but theyare just that - shells. The full bodies, like Gene said, add more detail and confidence for finishing birds.

BKL Gundogs 02-17-2008 02:31 AM

Now, I don't know about everybody in here but I would personally look at getting silouttes instead of more full bodies or shells. Don't get me wrong about full bodies they are great, but they do tend to blow over and they are hard to get into the field. The shells are not bad either but have you noticed that geese tend to bed down more on bad wheather days then they do on good wheather days, thats the disadvantage to shells. But silouttes are light easy to transport out to the field (imagine carring 3 to 4 dozen sillouttes compare to 6 to 8 full body or 1 dozen shell), plus they can be used as rester, feeders, or sentries, and most of all add a false sense of movement to your spread. Now might think I'm nuts about movement with sillouttes. Remember this sillouttes are a flat plane surface, so you can only see them from the sides not from the front or rear. If you were a geese and you saw them and was circling and a few disappear then re-appear does that not make you think of movement. Plus everybody is using full body or shells now a days. It will just throw in another different thing and help out.

corey thompson 02-23-2008 11:46 AM

I would leave all the shells at home or try to sell them and buy more full bodies. My buddies and Iuse 2dz bigfoot bulls feeders, 2dz ghg lookers, and 3dz ghg motion decoys. We had a great year. Last year we didnt have the full bodies but we was borrowing 8dz shells our kills trippled this yr.
good luck

goosehunter3492 03-06-2008 06:37 PM

It depends when you hunt in the early season i would go with the mags just because the birds fly high and are stupid but the late season i would get the full bodys. like GeneRagulskysaid the detail will finish them